Looking for wiring pics for lighting strips mounted by blind

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
reddingnative

Looking for wiring pics for lighting strips mounted by blind

Post by reddingnative »

I'm removing and resealing both the complete windows sliding side windows on my 1996 Chinook. I have to remove the blinds and and wooden trim piece with the lighting strips attached. I know I saw some posted pics of where to disconnect the wiring for these lighting strips. Need some direction please. Thanks so much.
Chinook Concourse Manufactured 6/1996
1995 Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L 460
Blue~Go

Re: Looking for wiring pics for lighting strips mounted by b

Post by Blue~Go »

1996 might be different from my '99, but I can tell you how mine were wired. Now let me think back....

Okay so for starters, mine were on circuit #1 in the brown box, which was a 14-gauge brown wire. That I am sure of (for my rig).

The positive wires for the valance lights were also (still) brown. Basically the way my upper cabinets were constructed, they had some "false" areas that hid wiring. To get to those areas I first pried out the inner/end carpeted pieces. Then if I remember correctly the outer wall strips come out. The main fore-and-aft wiring chase is behind that. Then the bottom comes out and there is a bunch of wiring lying in there including positive feeds and the negative "bunches" (white wires). The lights had little "flag shaped" slide on connectors.

Let me see if I can dig up some photos and come back to post them.

Okay, so again, yours might not be the same (things seem to have standardized a little bit more starting in 1997), but here is a shot looking up into the overhead cabinet over my sink. Straight ahead is the outside wall, to the left is the end of the cabinet by the shower wall. Behind the mini vertical strip on the outboard wall is the main wiring chase. Under the false bottom is wiring for cabinet things. If you click on the image it should enlarge.
IMG_1545.jpg
This example is from the other (passenger) side, with the upper cabinets removed. Here you can see the wiring "chase" that's behind that mini vertical strip exposed. The fatter bundle is DC wires; the thinner one is AC wires. The brown and white wires hanging down I'm pretty sure are the ones that powered the cabinet and valance lights. Brown is positive and white is ground. (As you can see by the blue tape, I had not perfected my "plastic straw" screen clips yet --- although you probably have different windows in 1996). Interestingly, on the driver's side all of the same wiring in the chase was not in loom. I added loom so now it is tidy like the passenger side. Maybe they ran out that day....?
IMG_1558.jpg
Here is an example (I think this is the passenger side again) of the wiring under the false floor of the upper cabinet. I think this is the same wiring that you see in the previous photo, but when it was in the cabinet.
IMG_1549.jpg
Last edited by Blue~Go on November 15th, 2017, 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think they are connected with male-female tabs that you can pull apart. I did that with the light strip inside the closet, and assume they have the same connector for the window.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
reddingnative

Post by reddingnative »

yep, I found them as everyone suggested. They were pull apart connections. Think would be a good time to convert to led rope lights along valance, just not sure what color temp, the existing were sort of like night lights.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Well it looks from the posts that were made while I was collating photos that you don't need them, but maybe they'll help someone else.

Just out of curiosity, do your 1996 cabinets and wiring look like my 1999?
1999 Concourse
reddingnative

Post by reddingnative »

Hey really appreciate all the input. I just made a large post with a ton of information, but I wasn't logged in and it all disappeared when I clicked the submit button :shock: I'll be back
reddingnative

Post by reddingnative »

"Momma always said, stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Augh! I've had that happen a few times. I *try* to remember to write up any lengthy posts in something like Text Edit, then copy/paste it over. Or, a quicker safety move is just to type your reply into the forum box, then quickly select all and copy before posting. Then if it goes awry you have it ready to "paste" in again. Of course I have forgotten to do that and lost it all quite a few times (sigh).
1999 Concourse