Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 9:28 am 

I just barely skimmed the article last night and if I read it correctly, something in the ATS (automatic transfer switch, which is attached behind the brown box) takes care of it, because it knows you are running from a generator rather than shorepower (this must be pre-set in the ATS).

It caught my attention back then because on my buddy's similar (E-450/Onan/but non-Chinook) rig, we removed the brown box and put in a newer system with a marine charger, new DC and AC breaker boards, etc. As a part of that, we eliminated the ATS, because the marine AC breaker panel has a manual source select (you can choose one of two sources, such as shore or gen, but never both). Since our type of RV doesn't have an automatic generator start/run function, there's no real need for an ATS vs. a manual select (personal choice of course).

When we did that, I was reasonably strong on DC knowledge, but AC was a bit weaker. I still felt comfortable that we had everything hooked up safely, but just wasn't as familiar with it as DC. We had no problems (and now it's four years later), but a couple of years after that I ran across this article. Thinking about it, I guess the ATS couldn't have been taking care of the problem, because we eliminated it and things were still fine. OTOH, he kept his Onan, and didn't use a Honda. Maybe something in the Onan takes care of the problem.

I guess I'll have to read the article again, and re-get the facts into my head. It's the type of thing that I "get" when I'm reading it, but then it flies right back out again an hour later -- especially when I don't need to think about/use it after that.

This is another article I read prior to us working on the AC re-wiring. It's specific to boats, but still has good info. (I've never had AC on a boat myself.) Proboat is a publication that's well respected, as is the author.

https://www.proboat.com/2011/10/demysti ... onnection/

background-color: #C1CAD2