Ultra gage

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Ultra gage

Post by chin_k »

I would look at the manufacturer spec regarding current draw when the key is removed, but as far as I know, the LED indicators are still active when ignition is off. Maybe it does shut itself down completely eventually, and I will find out. It is kind of pain to remove it every time when I store the RV.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Jermanitor wrote:The Ultra Gage set up is really simple. Plug it in and select the gages that you want it to display. :lol:
Good to know it's easier now. When I helped my friend put one in it was probably a couple of years ago. It was a real pain to get it to display TFT (transmission fluid temperature), which is the number one reason either of us wanted an OBD reader to begin with. Lots of poking around the webpage, calling the company for the secret handshake, etc. We did finally prevail, but it was aggravating. Sounds like that is much improved which is a good thing!
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I got mine to work with TFT, but it was not straight forward. I don't have to do the decommutation and handshake, etc., but I ended up email their tech support and they gave me a few more steps that I need to go thru for the Ford E350 for it to be available to be displayed. I have to adjust the display for most of the gauges, since they are not all that reasonable out of the box. Overall, I think it is a good product, but you do have to help it a little. Maybe the hardwired version is more professional.... mine is a bluetooth version.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think it was relatively new when my buddy got his. The website didn't give the info, and the attitude when we called was along the lines of "well technically TFT is a gauge you can get, but it's pretty complicated and we don't recommend consumers do it." Yeah right. We pressed, I mentioned how on my Scangauge I only had to input four numbers, which I was fully capable of, and they finally relented and gave us the info to let us do it ourselves (and hey, we're not even Einstein!).

Sounds like they've gotten a little more current with the times and that's good. It's definitely a sleek looking gauge and does some things the Scangauge will not. OTOH, the Scangauge does what I want it to, and I like the simplicity and how I can change things on the fly with no need for a manual (or to remove the gauge or do tricky things to get to the buttons on the backside). Good thing is we have these gauges available and can monitor our own data, check codes and keep or dismiss them, etc.
1999 Concourse