Rear doors are handy ......

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
chinook440

Rear doors are handy ......

Post by chinook440 »

For launching watercraft ! :mrgreen:

Attachments
nook n jon.jpg
Last edited by chinook440 on August 10th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue~Go

Re: Rear doors are handy ......

Post by Blue~Go »

:D

Cool pic. I have been towing a boat with my Chinook, but haven't launched with it yet. Nice to see another boat-towing Chinook!

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the rear door (previously had a van with rear and side doors), and would probably choose a side door if I could. That said, it does make for the most efficient layout in a small/narrow rig like a Chinook, so I can see why they chose it. I was able to easily load in some 12' 2 x 6's and a 4' x 8' sheet of foam insulation a couple of months ago, so yep, they do have their plusses.
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

What I don't like about the rear door is that it's off center, and I can't tell what's behind me with the rear view mirror. That's why I'm contemplating a rear camera.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Jb2005

Post by Jb2005 »

We got a backup camera installed in our 2005 Concourse. Had it set up so if you turn the lights on, the back up camera comes on, so we can use it as a rear view mirror when driving. It's pretty sweet. On the way to Colorado this summer, driving on the interstate, I had at least one time when I didn't see anything in the side mirror or the normal rear view, but the backup (which has a separate viewscreen mounted near the rear view) showed me a car. So I think the blind spot is gone! Had the wires come out the clearance light, and near the rear view mirror. Only complaint is they didn't tuck the wire up very well and it does fall down. We need to find a fix for that.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Jb2005 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 2:46 pm We got a backup camera installed in our 2005 Concourse. Had it set up so if you turn the lights on, the back up camera comes on, so we can use it as a rear view mirror when driving. It's pretty sweet. On the way to Colorado this summer, driving on the interstate, I had at least one time when I didn't see anything in the side mirror or the normal rear view, but the backup (which has a separate viewscreen mounted near the rear view) showed me a car. So I think the blind spot is gone! Had the wires come out the clearance light, and near the rear view mirror. Only complaint is they didn't tuck the wire up very well and it does fall down. We need to find a fix for that.
How did you run the wires from the camera to the cab?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
SMan

Post by SMan »

FWIW I ran my camera wires thru the rear compartment, behind the sink cabinet, along the side wall behind the couch, and then thru the wire trench under the sill of the drivers door. It wasn't too difficult and keeps the cam wires out of the weather. BTW My camera is mounted above the rear door rather than low. (There is a post somewhere).
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Roly

Post by Roly »

I had a car stereo shop install the camera I bought on line. The guy put the camera above the door on the center clearance light hole, down as mentioned by 68Camero, but then forward under the coach. Inside would have been better, I think. My camera is on when the engine is on as a rear view mirror. I attached the view screen to an oak piece that fits in a cup holder on the console, with velcro.

Roly
1998 Premier
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Been there, done that! We've launched our 27ft pontoon boat a few times. Works like a dream. Well, as long as I set the emergency brake for the downhill backup. The first time was a pucker moment, as the fronts locked up but the backs did not. We were sliding down toward the lake. YIKES!
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
SMan

Post by SMan »

The biggest advantage of the rear door I have found for my Chinook is that it makes a great lumber wagon. Plywood/Sheetgoods, 16' MDF, long sheet metal, carpet have all been hauled in a dry climate controlled environment. ;)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Roly

Post by Roly »

I brought home a dozen 12' lexan roofing panels that way, in the rain.

Roly
1998 Premier