Air lift bags to install on Rear of 2004 Chinook Concourse

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
Baitguru

Air lift bags to install on Rear of 2004 Chinook Concourse

Post by Baitguru »

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

I have visited two local installers ("Make it Fit", and "Texas Truck Accessories") and I am finding that neither one of them can install towing air bags on my 2004 Chinook Concourse. One of the indicates that there is not enough room to install an "Air lift" bag inside the rails, and is wanting to install "fire store" bags on the outside of the rails. I like the "Air lift" which have a "Industry-exclusive internal jounce bumper" https://www.airliftcompany.com/products ... 0-ultimate that works even when the airbag has no air pressure. The other installers states that the springs are already collapsed with so much weight that they can't get airbags installed and wants to only install a bumper stop (I don't like that idea at all). I have searched this forum and I recognizeseveral references to chinooks having "Air lift" bags installed on the back of their motorhomes. I can not locate any details on what they installed on their Chinook.

I informed the installers, that I belong to a forum specific for my manufacture and models of my motorhome, and that others have "Air lift" installed. The installer (Make it fit) is still worried about the natural gas line that runs along the rail, but indicates if I want to purchase an "air bag" they will install them without a warranty.

Can anyone provide me more details (air bag model number) on what is actually being installed on their Chinook Concourse Motorhomes?

Thank you,
-Michael
2004 Chinook Concourse :arrow:
Chinook009

Re: Air lift bags to install on Rear of 2004 Chinook Concourse

Post by Chinook009 »

I have the Firestone Ride-Rite system on my 2003 Ford Chassis.
Did a little research and then took it to a suspension shop to discuss the value of the system. Decided to leave the Ride-Rite on, but deflate to zero PSI. Upgraded the leaf springs substantially and called it good. I can still use the air system if I want to do any side to side leveling, but I never do. Point being, the system doesn't improve the ride at all, the springs do that. I see no value in this upgrade. My 2 cents.
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

I installed the Firestone Product on my Premier. I was not looking for better ride quality. I wanted small approach angle improvement. My premier has stock leaf springs without Morryde. I believe the Coach has better balance now. Pressure in the bags: 48 lbs. Bilstein shocks at all four corners. Took me about 4.5 hours to install. You need to assemble the product under the rig due to clearance issues. Also, the stock Ford bump stop is metric and you can't see the bolt head.
2000 Chinook Premier
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

I just did a bunch of work on my 2000 e350 chassis to gain some elevation in the rear due to sagging. I have mor-ryde in the bag which is why I want to bring this up. I replaced the rubber insulators and moved them down to the bottom adjustment on the mount plate ( they have three adjustments to choose from). When I got the new ones I put them side by side one of the old ones and say they where about 1.5 inches different in height. I think the old ones squish over time. Between the new insulators and going to the last adjustment I gained three inches of height in the rear. something for consideration if your coach has the mor-ryde setup on it. I am still considering air bags though for adjust-ability though.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

I had read some time back that moryde does not recommend installing airbags if you have their system. It stated that the airbags prevent the moryde system from functioning the way it was designed to function. If your considering air bags you may want to contact Moryde first.
Baitguru

Post by Baitguru »

Thanks for the input.

I wasn't able to get the airbags installed prior to my vacation (over 4,000 miles towing our boat from North Texas to Islamorada Florida). I am not familiar with the "mor-ryde " system on the chinook. Is this an airbag leveling system?

I purchased my chinook Concourse with the intent of towing our boat down to the Florida Keys. It was the only motorhome in the size (21' fits in the driveway nice and the same length as the boat) with the tow rating/capacity and a large v-10 engine. I have made this tow 3 previous times since 2010, with my Ford Expedition (twice), and Navigator (1 time), and now once with my 2004 Chinook Concourse.

The hills on I-10 in the panhandle of Florida between Pensacola, and just east of Tallahassee have always been my nightmare, and a drag on my tow experience. I drop from 65 mph, down to 50 mph many times during the tow. This time I recognized a similar issue traveling on the hills in East Texas to within 60 miles east of Dallas on I-20. I really want to do this tow at night, but the traffic is traveling even faster at night.

When hitched to the boat, the rear of the Chinook is lower than I want, but this wasn't much of an issue. I did make an attempt to keep the black/gray water tanks empty. There were several times when going out/ in to a steep parking lot that the tire on the trailer jack rubbed against the pavement. Other than that I didn't have any issues. I will continue to work and get airlift bags installed for towing and elevating the rear of the Chinook.

I did see my fuel economy go from 10 or 11 mpg, to 6.9 to 8 (maybe 10 on level driving at 55 mph) while towing.
2004 Chinook Concourse :arrow:
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Here is a picture of a MorRyde rubber spring behind the rear axle. If you don't have these, you don't have the MorRyde system. If you do, make sure they are not torn or worn out. They can be replaced.
Attachments
MorRyde Sway Bar.jpg
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA