Motorcycle & Motorcycle Carrier

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
1998chinook

Motorcycle & Motorcycle Carrier

Post by 1998chinook »

I'm considering buying a "light weight" dual sport motorcycle and adding a motorcycle carrier to the back. The bike I'm considering is a 2003-2009 Yamaha xt225, with a "wet weight" (includes gas & fluids) of approximately 290lbs.

I used to ride dirt bikes when I was younger, and I like the idea of being able to explore and run quick errands with a smaller foot print.

Does anyone have this kind of setup?
Anyone use one of those motorcycle carriers before?
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Motorcycle & Motorcycle Carrier

Post by Manitou »

I've had a 400lb cafe racer style bike on the back and the front. I mounted a receiver hitch up front, but it partially blocked the head lights. Out back it was fine as long as I got an extension also to push it past the spare tire and allow the back door to mostly open. I used the cheap carrier from harbor freight. Got the extension there too. I think it was all rated right at 400lbs.. Maybe 500.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

One thing you might consider is moving the spare tire to the front. That would give you less to have to "jut out past" in the back, and put less additional weight on the hitch and rear axle. I find that even when underweight, the rear axle weight rating is the "weak link" that I have to watch out for.

I moved my spare to the front. I did the physics calculations, and, IIRC (off the top of my head) I figured I removed around 220+# from the rear axle (and added ~200# to the front axle, but that's no problem on my rig).

I mounted a Draw-Tite front receiver hitch (fits like a glove) and a Draw Tite spare carrier slips into the front receiver with the tire on it. I only see a slight bit of the tire when driving (if you are tall you might see it a bit more).

It does add a bit of length to the vehicle; since the tire in back tucked in next to the steps, it didn't add as much length in back.

I run a Scan Gauge and have had no temperature issues with the spare on the front. Before mounting it there I did some research and found one fellow with a Born Free (very similar to our rigs) who had mounted the spare on the front, runs a Scan Gauge, and went all around Central America with it not noticing any problems, so I felt comfortable trying it out. Figured worst case I'd put it back in the rear and have a front receiver hitch (it tucks under the front bumper tidily).

I've been running mine up front for just over a year, including a few thousand miles of towing, and some HOT weather. I'm perfectly happy with it. Also it's nice not to have it "in my face" when going in and out the back door, plus I can get into that rear locker easily. I did add a larger transmission cooler in place of the stock one, but that was more because I like to see "cool as a cucumber" transmission temps when towing.

Anyway, it's an idea.
1999 Concourse
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Well, I took the first step... I purchased a used 2007 Suzuki DR-Z 400S from craigslist. I've been busy performing some much needed TLC and basic maintenance. I'm having an absolute blast riding this thing. Can't wait to explore the pacific northwest on it this fall.
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Very cool. Wish I could get my Goldwing on the back like that...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Nice! Fuel injected? How much do you figure it all weighs in at?
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Manitou wrote:Nice! Fuel injected? How much do you figure it all weighs in at?
Unfortunately not, it's carbureted.

The curb weight (wet weight with fluids topped off) of the DRZ 400S is 318lbs.
The AMC-400 motorcycle carrier is 36lbs. It is rated to carry 400lbs.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

You've got the same walmart strap package I bought at one time. Have you found the loading/unloading process acceptable? I was wanting to take it off and on often, but the process of doing so deterred me.
If/when I get another bike (electric Zero DS I hope) I want to streamline the loading unloading process. (not sure how yet)
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

Figured I'd add to this post then create a new one even though this post is a couple years old. After my long hunt for the perfect side door Chinook, and almost giving up and going with a rear entry, I'm glad I didn't. Hanging a motorcycle off the back was the main reason for insisting on a side entry. I found this bottle jack style Moto carrier for $100 on Craigslist! These type of carriers retail for $400 plus depending on which of the three company that offer this style you go with. Last night I finally mounted it up and loaded the DR on the back to see how it sat and I'm very pleased with it. When jacked up and locked in the upright position it sits nice and high and shouldn't effect my departure angles at all.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg