Ex-Apple guys releasing a wireless backup camera

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Ex-Apple guys releasing a wireless backup camera

Post by Xatlatc »

This looks too easy. Someone order one of these and give us a review. I'll wait until they go on sale. Link below is to Pearl Auto website which has a short video and specs.
https://pearlauto.com
Blue~Go

Re: Ex-Apple guys releasing a wireless backup camera

Post by Blue~Go »

I only skimmed the site. But a few things seemed like I'd have to know more. First, it's solar powered (by a license plate frame mini-panel). I suppose it must have some sort of battery so it can be used at night or on cloudy days. Then it uses the OBD port. I already have an OBD reader plugged in there, so I'd hate to give that up. And then I'm not so sure sure about "interactive screens" on the phone. Gah, just what we need, more people "interacting" with their phones on the road. Lastly, at least for my Chinook, I wouldn't want it on the license plate frame (would like it higher up and in the center).

On the other hand, the website gives one the feel that it's well thought out and modern, so perhaps my questions would all have really good, well thought out answers. Or it would work great for other people. It's always interesting to see new ideas.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Re: Ex-Apple guys releasing a wireless backup camera

Post by kdarling »

Some of us on tech forums wonder how they got so much funding, considering that in a few years, all US cars will have to come stock with a backup camera anyway. Plus other options are so much cheaper.

At $500, its current appeal would be to someone with money but perhaps no spare time or tools. Otherwise, if you're able to figure out how to hook up to your reverse lamps and perhaps drill a hole, then for about $60 on eBay or Amazon you can buy a wireless license plate camera with its own display.

Especially for our Chinooks, a license plate mount is not the best place, since it's low and off to the right. (That's where mine is right now, and it's not ideal. I want one higher up in the middle.)

--

Actually, what I REALLY want, is one of those overhead bird's eye 360 view setups. You know, like:
birds-eye.jpg
Where it electronically combines the view from front/rear/side cameras into what looks like an overhead view. This would make parallel parking, backing up curvy driveways, etc ... so easy.

And that's exactly what I've been working on installing. I bought a kit from China for under $200 a couple of months ago. The hardest part so far has been installing the cameras in the mirror arms, and then running the cable through the power window wiring conduits into the cabin. I cannot describe how difficult this was to do on the driver's side.
mirror_cam.jpg
I'm now thinking that was a ton of unnecessary pain, because the side cameras are probably better off being more towards the middle of the RV in some kind of pod under the side windows.

In any case, my whole project got stopped because the main video computer is in a constant reboot mode, and I have to get it replaced. If/when I ever get it going, I'll post full details.

Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)