Can all Chinooks tow?

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Can all Chinooks tow?

Post by FatBuoy »

As I research these, I see large steps in the back. (Concourse) It appears that some are manual, and some electric. Can they all tow? If there is not a hitch, can one be added with the steps intact, or do they need to be removed? Looking at 2000-2004 models. Any education would be appreciated. I posted this in General, then realized there's a section for towing.
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Can all Chinooks tow?

Post by chin_k »

If there is no hitch, I think one can be installed, if you have a regular stock electric step. However, due to the long lever effect, it does not tow as much as a regular E350 with no step on the back. I think a side-entry will have better option, but many of us were able to get it to work with the limits.

The short answer is that most Chinooks already have a hitch that come with the RV maker. If you end up with one that does not have it, which is rare, then it is possible to put one on if there are other Chinooks with the same step. It can cost you more than just paying extra for one that already come with the hitch, however. So if you really need one to tow, get one with it installed already.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Jlfchinook

Post by Jlfchinook »

I have 2 Chinooks, both came with hitch installed. Used our 2001 Premire to tow a 2001 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee from Florida to Texas with no problems at all. Have not towed with our 2000 Concourse yet but sure it will be no problem with it. I did have to buy receiver extension to clear steps. Hope this helps
2000 Concourse, 2001 premier
SMan

Post by SMan »

My 2004 Premier has the Kwikee electric step and came with a hitch extension to get beyond the step. I have had my utility trailer hooked to it but haven't yet towed my Jeep Wrangler.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10