Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2017, 6:08 pm 

Well that's an interesting option. I think I may at times tow a car in future and the now-ubiquitous motorhome-mounted tow bar gets in the way of the Chinook original flip over bottom step. I've been mulling over various options - one of which was to unbolt/remove the top step (which would leave me basically with what you had prior to mounting your new step) and just use a 16" x 24" collapsible step. A plus is that it would also have other uses. OTOH, I really like my nice, wide, super sturdy, non-clanky flip over step, so I'm a bit undecided.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the option of a car-mounted tow bar. They have fallen out of favor, but might be a nice option for the ol' rear door situation. Then I could keep my original flip over step (flipped up when towing), and not have to either lose its function or remove/replace the motorhome-mounted towbar constantly (not that fun bending over and working a floppy 35+# towbar in and out of the tucked in receiver).

You always come up with novel approaches/solutions and this one is no exception.

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: May 16th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

wakefield907 wrote:
We have a 2004 Chinook XL. Previous owner removed the receiver hitch to install different steps. Now, we want to tow our 4-place Polaris Ranger side-by-side on an aluminum trailer. We have the original long receiver. Can anyone assist with a drawing or a source for the receiver hitch -- the original bolt-on? Thanks. AL and Lauren in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

I missed this somehow when you posted it. The company that was the primary supplier of the custom fabricated metal parts for Chinook - such as the rear steps, rear bumpers, and miscellaneous brackets on and under the Coach - was ASAP Metal Fabricators, in Yakima, Washington.

Contact info:

valerie@asapmetalfab.com
888-386-8189 or 509-453-9143

http://www.asapmetalfab.com

That's not to say you'd need them (and they don't come cheap) but I figured the info might still be helpful. As far as I know they are still in business.

I could post photos of my original step/hitch arrangement, but if you have a 2004 that would have had the electric step and I think there were some differences (I have the manual step).