Hitch Extension

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
Skillet

Hitch Extension

Post by Skillet »

I have a cargo carrier my neighbor gave me that can fit into the hitch. It's not long enough to clear the steps and rear tire carrier. Would this be what I'm looking for to extend it? The size is correct: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessor ... 70024.html
Attachments
Cargo Carrier.jpg
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Hitch Extension

Post by Blue~Go »

With an '02, do you have the electric or manual step? (Edited to add: I see from your paint job photos that your step looks the exact same as the one on my '99). If the electric, I can't speak to the fit specifically. With the manual, you'd want to look carefully at the second photograph with the measurement. I would be looking to see if the two larger sections (the extended part and the lip) would fit under the step, and also to check if the 12" from pin hole to pin hole would work for you.

As they note, these reduce your hitch capacity by 50%, but presuming you aren't carrying loads of bricks, probably fine.

BG

PS: I haven't used one of these extenders, but I've shopped for and bought several drawbars for my manual step Concourse. E-trailer has been helpful in taking specific measurements when I've needed them (and sometimes you can find where they made sketches for other people in the questions/answers area of an item).
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

It's a manual step and the extender will fit under. But, I need to see if the holes would line up like you said. I looked at the 8" but figured they would line up with a 12". I'll try and measure and give them a call. Thanks!
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

I use a Hidden Hitch ball mount that has 16" between the pin and the ball mount and is rated for 6,000 lbs. and has a tongue weight of 600lbs. Its heavy but it clears the steps. Got it from Etrailer - https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hi ... 80232.html
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The thing is that those "trays" don't take a ball mount. They have their own square tube that you put right into the receiver and then join with a pin through the holes. So, Skillet needs to make the receiver work with the tray (or have it modified).
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Yep - missed that part. I agree that even with an extension it should handle the weight of one of those trays fully loaded - most have a capacity of around 250 lbs.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I might not have caught it either, but I just used one of those trays recently (on a car) to haul some things. I had to load carefully or it would flop side to side (because stock they only have the one central mount point). Still useful for certain things though.
1999 Concourse