What type of receiver hitch is installed?

Anything that goes behind your Chinook, flat, trailer, toys.
worksweekends

What type of receiver hitch is installed?

Post by worksweekends »

Hello everyone. After thinking about this for many years I finally decided to stop waiting and bought the chinook. A beauty of a 1998 concourse but there are a couple issues I need to figure out. The first is that someone removed the receiver hitch so I can’t tow. Does anyone know if that hitch is off the shelf or if it was custom because of the step and frame design? I’d hate to have one made and I don’t want to order the wrong one. My next problem is they had the generator removed but that’ll be next on the list.
All and any advise is welcome as this is my first rv and I plan to use it as a travel machine as well as living in it about one week per month.
Thanks
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: What type of receiver hitch is installed?

Post by chin_k »

Do you have a pic of where the hitch receiver is suppose to be? Hopefully, they just cut it off, and you can put a square tubing back. I think it is less than $50 for hitch shops. If they ruin the point of attachment, it can be more messy. I don't think it is your case, but if you have to replace the step/bumper/spare tire holder, it is something in the order of a grand or two if you want the OEM.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
worksweekends

Post by worksweekends »

Thanks so much for getting back to me. No, I don't have a pic today, however I will be back home tomorrow and will upload one then. It didn't look like anything had been cut just that the receiver isn't there at all. I hope your right and it's not a big deal.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think I can dig up a few photos of the hitch on mine (all original). I have a 1999 Concourse. It is somewhat integrated into the steps and etc.

It's the first thing to scrape when, say, coming out of a driveway with a dip (gas stations, etc.), so maybe someone damaged it and just had it cut off?
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I just don't understand why remove it if it was there originally.... it is like saving 3 lb of extra weight?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
worksweekends

Post by worksweekends »

I have no idea why anyone would taked it off. I'm the 3rd owner And the person I bought it from never towed and genuinely didn't seem to know it came with one. Looks like the whole receiver was just unbolted from the frame.
Attachments
20180127_153656.jpg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I'm with Blue. Someone hit the ground, mangled it, and just removed it. Can't imagine any other reason. The information for the original fabricator is here in the forum. Can't remember their name. They'll have the dimensions. Won't be cheap.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The Company that was the primary supplier of all of the custom-fabricated metal parts for Chinook - such as the rear steps, rear bumpers, miscellaneous brackets on and under the Coach - was ASAP Metal Fabricators, in Yakima, Washington.

They may be contacted via e-mail at valerie@asapmetalfab.com
or by Phone at 888-386-8189 or 509-453-9143

Their Website is http://www.asapmetalfab.com

Here are a series of photos that may help. These are the stock setup on my 1999 Concourse. Aside from the first one, the rest are taken looking up while my Chinook was on a hoist. If I can clarify anything, just let me know. I could also take additional photos as I'm sitting on the Chinook sofa typing this :D
hitch receiver side view.jpg
Pass side view.jpg
Passenger side view closer.jpg
A few more in the next post.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Driver's side view.jpg
Forward end of receiver tube.jpg
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I meant to note that my Concourse has the manual rear step. I think in all of the photos above the lower step is flipped up on top of the upper step (i.e. driving position). Things are a bit different with the electric step that came later, I believe (and earlier.... I don't know about either).
1999 Concourse