New To Us Chinook Makeover

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: New To Us Chinook Makeover

Post by chin_k »

I'm afraid to take off the cabinets, since they look like each weight about 100#. I need to do this to remount and reinforce my awning brackets, I think. (I tried to remove the false bottom, but no success, maybe there are some trick that I missed). So how much of weight saving the aluminum frame going to give you? Looks very modern.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Your makeover is very cool, NewTrailWagon! The reupholstery looks great, and the 80/20 build is awesome!
Keep the pics coming!!!!
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
NewTrailWagon

Post by NewTrailWagon »

I am not sure what the weight savings really is. I am not sure it is that much, the cabinets are a tad longer, I will say that they are a lot stronger and the mounting I used will ensure that they will not be going anywhere. The aluminum is far more sturdy than the old oak. I would gather that there may be a 10-15# weight savings. Removal was easy, just start unscrewing and it will begin to come down. I was able to take the old one out all in one piece, there are like 1x1 firing strips that you can follow around the cabinets and you will find a bunch of screws securing it to the ceiling and the wall, once you get all of them out it comes right out. might use a jack or something to help hold it up as you remove it though.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I also removed the original oak and MDF upper cabinets. I weighed them at around 100# apiece. Oof.

As mentioned, they come down easily. Chin_k, I have a past post with photos showing how to get the innards out. There is a trick to the order of operations, but easy once you know. Under the false floor is all the wiring to remove or mod as you wish.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The main description is here:

https://www.chinookrvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=856

And a few bonus photos in this thread:

https://www.chinookrvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=903

On the driver's side there is (on mine anyway) an oak divider on the cabinet floor inside. That also had to come out to get the false floor up.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I remember reading the posts, but forget the detail. I managed to pull the false bottom loose, but it can't be removed because the thin back piece is holding onto it. Now that I read your posts again, I will do the two end pieces, and the back (side of the rig) thin trim, and that should do the trick! I don't remember seeing any white screw on the long "back" trim, however, but I'll take a look tomorrow when the sun is out and report back on the other thread, so I don't have to hijack other's thread. Thanx. :)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis