Wastebaskets and bags

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Blue~Go

Wastebaskets and bags

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, not a "deep" subject, but early on I noticed that "normal" wastebaskets didn't fit well in my Chinook - especially in the bathroom. Too wide/round. So whenever I was in a shop that carried such things, I was on the lookout. I found several wastebaskets advertising themselves as "thin," but that typically seemed to mean the bottom was thin, but the top still flared out, often with an extra rim.

Eventually I found two I settled on, which have worked out well.

For the kitchen, I finally found a thin, rimless wastebasket at a container store. It has a slightly odd infinity shape (narrows slightly in the middle) but works fine. Either 4-gallon garbage bags or grocery store bags fit into it decently.
side view.jpg
top view.jpg
label.jpg
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Re: Wastebaskets and bags

Post by Blue~Go »

Speaking of bags... I used to "recycle" plastic grocery store bags as garbage bags. I finally mostly gave that up because so many of them would have holes or tears (that I would discover after filling them with garbage :( ). So I started buying Glad 4-gallon bags. These are essentially the same size as a grocery store type plastic bag, but without the holes and tears. They aren't free, but for the amount of trash I generate, they aren't a budget buster either. They are a little bit hard to find, but Wal-Mart carries them fairly reliably, and I've also seen them on Amazon. Plus, I've also started bringing my own bags to the store most of the time, so have fewer of the "Wal-Mart Tumbleweeds" on hand anyway (sure wouldn't mind seeing them alongside the road less often).
bags that fit.jpg
Next up was the bathroom. Good luck finding any trash receptacle to fit in that "room"! Time to think outside the box. I went to the "Tupperware" department armed with a tape measure and started measuring the thin, tall dispenser/canisters (meant for cereal or the like). I now use one of them in the bathroom (sans lid) as a wastebasket. Believe it or not, it fits between the side of the toilet and the sink (outboard of the toilet footpedal). After measuring these I found an even skinnier one (no photo), but this gives the idea.
candidate 3.jpg
candidate 2.jpg
For up in the cab area, I cut down a 1-gallon water jug and use that till I get tired of it, then make a new one (I also use these for other things, such as carrying tools to a project. Also, they conform easily into lockers to stow various categories of stuff). No photo at the moment, but basically I cut around the belly of the jug around 2/3 of the way up, then swoop up over the top so as to include the handle, then back down again to meet the other cut. This yields a small, handled jug.

That's all the exciting wastebasket news for now :lol:
1999 Concourse
AmyJo

Post by AmyJo »

Where do you keep your water jug waste paper basket? I hang a plastic grocery bag from the paper towel hanger which is to the right of my shelves in the galley. That works fairly well but is a little unsightly. Under the sink seems so cramped. :x

Amy Jo
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi AmyJo,

Trash receptacles are one of those things (like shoes) that seem so trivial but can be so aggravating if there is no good place to put them. Here is where I have the three trash receptacles in my Concourse:

1) The skinny Tupperware one is in the bathroom, between the toilet and the sink counter, and outboard of the toilet foot pedal.

2) The thin green trash can is "in" the kitchen, up against the converter box door (brown metal door on end of counter ell), or sometimes on the inside of the ell (below the water heater switch on my rig). Thin is good!

3) The cut down milk jug is my "cab/driving" trash bin, and I keep it sort of at the right/rear corner of the driver's seat (exact spot varies).
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

AmyJo wrote: I hang a plastic grocery bag from the paper towel hanger which is to the right of my shelves in the galley. That works fairly well but is a little unsightly. Under the sink seems so cramped. :x

Amy Jo

I do similar. I hang a plastic grovery bag from a hook to the left of the range top (back of the rear dinette seat). It doesn't get in the way when using any space like the kitchen sink or bathroom and also doesn't take up storage space. It never gets very full because I just grab it when I get to a rest stop or campground and dispose of it there.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

This hanging wire basket lined with a grocery bag makes a good galley wastebasket. It stays in place with velcro under the hanger tops and is out of dog nose range. It does stop one under-stove cabinet door from fully opening, but that hasn't been a problem. Don't have the tag anymore so don't know the manufacturer but found several similar online. And the photo refuses to load upright :cry:
Attachments
20150924_0525 - Copy.JPG
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
SMan

Post by SMan »

We went to this style and have been very happy with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spiral-Pop-Up ... n/16817420
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I have that exact same one SMan, and it's squeezed between the front club chair and rear of the front passenger seat.
I like that spot as it's pretty centralized for the whole coach. I do want one for the bathroom though. I saw a photo of a nice thin one that fits between the toilet bowl and the wall shared with the galley, sits right on the floor flat.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Jb2005

Post by Jb2005 »

Just bought a 2005 Concourse with twin beds, and haven't even been out in it yet, but I thought I'd mention something I intend to try for a wastebasket. At a Dollar Tree, they have plastic "totes" similar to a woman's bag, or beach tote, with handles cut out, but small and flexible, yet a flat bottom. I'm hoping this will work both as a galley basket, (kept in the small L near the closet) and another for the bathroom. But as I said, I haven't gotten one to measure yet.