Dinosaur board

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
markatherton

Dinosaur board

Post by markatherton »

Need help with Dinosaur installation; I have 2000 concourse with 3 way fridge. I am only able to locate one of the thermocouple wires (it is a stiff solid copper wire). Is the other one the large black wire that is currently on a ground terminal? Where is the wire source for P1? How do I tell which one of the ac "out" wires is hot and which is neutral? They are both color coded black. Pretty sketchy instructions with this kit...Thanks for any help. Mark
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Dinosaur board

Post by chin_k »

Aren't they suppose to have good customer service? You may want to see if you can call them...

Generally speaking, if I have two wires and one is neutral, one is hot, the way I tell the hot one from neutral is by measuring the voltage between the mystery wire with the ground (green) or separate neutral on the same circuit. Sometimes if there are other things plugged in, you may measure some voltage on the neutral wire too, so it is not fool proof. There is also an outlet tester that can tell me if I wired it incorrectly, but that will involve connecting the wires to a outlet, which you may not be able to do. I don't know if the above will be helpful for you in your situation.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The Dino board seems to be just one-to-one swap on the wiring, so I guess you are trying to do this to a fridge that was not connected to the old Dometic board?

I assume your manual for the Dino board:
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ins ... 1_inst.pdf
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

Instructions say "remove shipping cap" and "hook up the dc element". What is a shipping cap and where is the dc element?
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

I got the thermocouple figured out. Now instruction number 6 "3 way" AC element 2 black wires. Are they interchangeable for "AC out"?
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

excuse me #5 not number 6
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

I spoke to a tech at Dinosaur and in fact I have the wrong board. The R3663 dometic model I have could have come with one of three boards. I purchased a P-711 when in fact, I needed a 3850415.01. I went off of Dinosaur's chart to buy mine. So, it might behoove you to check with a tech before you order. Go figure...
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Really? I would have got the P-711 if I need a replacement, since the web page points to that specific board, and my understanding is that the pins are pretty much one-to-one, as I send you the link above. Sounds like they need to update their webpage, so it won't trap people like you and me.
SMan

Post by SMan »

The Dometic I have (2004 RM3663) luckily took the P-711 Board. It was one of the first repairs I had to do. The Dometic in my previous 1993 Tioga Montara also took the same P711. I didn't realize there were multiple boards. Good to keep in the memory bank.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

The AC output wires are interchangeable, as they simply go to the 120VAC powered heating element.

Interestingly, mine had the DC three way option, but no DC element! When I figured that out, I bought one, slid it into its holder next to the AC one, hooked its wires to the controller output for DC heater, and I was in business!

Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)