What Class is a 2002 Chinook Concourse?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Deputy

What Class is a 2002 Chinook Concourse?

Post by Deputy »

Hi All. I know this is may sound like a silly question from this newbie but: is my new to me 2002 Chinook Concourse a Class B or a Class C? I have seen it referred to both ways as I have tried to research it. So I thought I would ask the experts. Thank you in advance.
Blue~Go

Re: What Class is a 2002 Chinook Concourse?

Post by Blue~Go »

Welcome!

Not silly at all, especially since marketers tried to invent a new category (see below). However most of our Chinooks are solidly a Class C, no doubt about it. (Chinook did make some Class B's and some Class A's, but your garden variety Concourse, Destiny, etc. are Class C).

Here is how the "classes" work:

Class B
This is an RV built into the confines of a factory van body. It may have a fiberglass top (headroom) but the body is a van. It was delivered to the RV company as a full van.

Class C
The vehicle is delivered as a "chassis cab." This means that what arrives at the RV company is, say, a van nose (no back wall, but roof, doors, dash, engine, hood are all there). Behind that Ford, Chevy, or etc. cab is a bare frame and rear wheels. The RV builder adds the entire "house" section onto the rear frame.

Class A
This is basically a frame, engine and wheels delivered to the RV builder. They make not only the "house" but also the driving compartment, dashboard, windshield, etc.

The class that does not really exist, "B+"
Apparently Class C's were always looked down upon. So marketers decided that they'd "make" a new category and call it B+. The idea was put forth that if there was no bed over the cab it could be put into this new, "better" category. Our Chinooks have been described this way (although ironically, many of the "18+" models (early Concourse/Premiers) DID have a small bed over the cab). But in reality they are Class C's, because what Chinook took delivery of was a chassis cab, just like ... Class C's! That's why we have the Ford cab, seat bases, seat belts, dashboard, windows, roof -- and then the house is Chinook.

BG

PS: There are a few oddballs such as vans that have *most* of the van body, but then the RV company takes away a door or a panel here or there - or makes other changes. To me I'd say they are still Class B's as the entire van was delivered to the RV converter who then made a few tweaks.
1999 Concourse
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi Blue-Go. Thank you for quick and knowledgeable reply. And it now totally makes sense. It is interesting to have looked online and seen it listed both ways including by RV dealers. And now I know and I really do appreciate it. Be well.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

As far as listing them as a "B," that may be because there is a bit of a "vanlife" craze going on now and so why not fib a little to attract that demographic?

Our Chinooks are fantastic, of course. They need no embellishment :D
1999 Concourse
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I agree with Blu-Go...the Concourse to me strikes great balance between B and C. I think B is too small and C too big...this makes the Chinook just right:) I call them a B+, wether technically correct or not.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

68camaro wrote: May 24th, 2020, 4:35 pm I think B is too small and C too big...this makes the Chinook just right:) I call them a B+, wether technically correct or not.
But that's just it: Class C is not a size. So it can't be "too big," unless your specific one doesn't suit you.
Rather it describes the build type: Chassis cab delivered to RV builder who adds house part of RV - exactly as our Concourses and Premiers were built.

The older Chinook 18+ were also Class C's and they were only around 18' long. Miniature! Our 21' units are jumbo in comparison.

So unless you find a 21' Class C too big (?). But then it would be too big no matter what "letter." We have some of the cutest, nimblest Class C's out there. Nothing wrong with that to my mind.

BG
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

It is class C, but for some reason, my RV insurance company insists to call it a class B to get more money out of me :cry:
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chin_k, that is so wrong! How can they be allowed to do that? Hmph!
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

They knew I am too lazy to change to a different company. It is not that much more for the misclassification, but I do have a different insurance for my home/auto/RV that I will switch to when this one expires later this year. The hassle is that every time when I get a new company, they want to come by my house to inspect it to make sure it is not a slum that I am going to burn down after the first premium is paid. :roll:
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Maybe it's a "C minus" ? :roll:
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10