Coach battery disconnect solenoid running hot

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
treejay

Coach battery disconnect solenoid running hot

Post by treejay »

1994 Concourse, diesel. This is a model prior to the surepower 1315 module. Instead there are 3 solenoids under the hood. One of them is activated by the battery disconnect switch on the dash. When the switch is on, house batteries come on line and ready for use. Typically when using the rig for camping, this is always on to allow use of the camper lights and appliances. I noticed that this solenoid runs hot when it’s always on, nearly too hot to touch. When I turn that switch off, it cools down. Is this normal?? Seems like it’s too hot but maybe that’s just how it works. And if so, how many amps does this solenoid continuously draw? Seems like a waste of electricity in an already scarce environment esp when dry camping.
It also seems like this solenoid should be rated continuous duty....

One of the other solenoids is The battery isolator, and one I believe is the battery boost switch to put the house battery in parallel w the starting battery bank.

I welcome your thoughts.