HEATING THE INTERIOR DURING THE WINTER

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: HEATING THE INTERIOR DURING THE WINTER

Post by chin_k »

Astrodokk, if your rig is not covered, does the solar panel enough to keep the batteries in good shape? Mine does not do anywhere close to 50W due to the age, and the winter sun.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

No, the solar panels don’t het enough sun in the winter to keep the batteries charged. Must plug in, I just never have.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
SMan

Post by SMan »

I've had a number of trailers and motorhomes. I always winterize, drain the tanks, blow pex lines out with air and put a dash of RV antifreeze in all the traps. Nothing has ever froze. I've never used a heater in the winter. I did have the toilet valve crack and leak. As much from old age as anything.

During Covid our Chinook is used a few times a week as a mobile dining room as restaurants have been take out only much of the time. The batteries are staying well charged.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
starjots

Post by starjots »

Don't do much winter camping so we blow out the water lines and plug in. We have camped in freezing conditions a few times and I've been impressed with the LP' heat, keep the thermostat in the low 60s. We have a vinyl exterior cover for the windshield -- I think that helps.