Ok to jump start cab battery

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
wecroninger

Ok to jump start cab battery

Post by wecroninger »

We have a 2002 Destiny, just purchased and still learning the rig. We had the dealer work on it two weeks ago. When I tried to start it today all coach and start batteries appear to be dead. We had it hooked up to shore power but discovered that the coach battery disconnect switch was set to “off” so thinking they were not being charged and that something just drained everyone? The switch is now on and charge in coach batteries is just over 7volts. Can I just jump the cab battery, start the engine and use it to start the generator? Just want to make sure I can jump that cab battery as I would a car. There is some type of interrupter near that battery that seems to be there to keep coach and cab batteries from communicating? I am likely not being clear but can post images in he morning if that will help.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Ok to jump start cab battery

Post by chin_k »

You can jump start the chassis battery just like a regular car.

The battery isolator that you are talking about often can be use to jump start the car with the "boost" function. In this case, however, your coach battery is gone, so this option is not available to you. I would put the rig on shore power, and let the charger start charging the coach right away. I also will put a automotive charger on the cab/chassis battery, and get it going ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely that it won't come back. Maybe it is already too far gone.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
wecroninger

Post by wecroninger »

Thank you! Will do both this AM and let you know how it goes.
wecroninger

Post by wecroninger »

Coach batteries charged overnight using shore power and were able to start generator. Still working on chassis batterybattery
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If it does not go above 11 or so volt, it is gone.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis