1993 Chinook Concourse Computer

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
mikemclean

1993 Chinook Concourse Computer

Post by mikemclean »

The computer for my 1993 Concourse died. I'm in need of a new one, please?
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: 1993 Chinook Concourse Computer

Post by Manitou »

What "computer" are you referring to? The ford engine management? Or ??
mikemclean

Post by mikemclean »

Yes, the one that manages the engine is the correct term, I believe.
My fuel system stopped working, and the mechanic says it's the computer. They seem to be very difficult to find, and they've sent mine in to be rebuilt. Considering the age of my Chinnook (1993), I want a back-up, and still hoping the one that's being sent in can be repaired/rebuilt. My Chinook is in excellent condition, and I plan on keeping it for a very long time.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Most modern cars have dozen or so computer in there. The one you have is probably called the ECU? Engine Control Unit?

I am surprised that they can rebuilt it. Very few people can do work on the ECU, I heard, but maybe there are people who specialize on it. Can't you get another ECU from the junk yard, or see if there are tuner out there that can replace the OEM ECU?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Here is a source for 1993 E350 ECU's. Check for engine size to match: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1993/ ... _unit.html
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
mikemclean

Post by mikemclean »

Yes, it's called the ECU, and if anyone out there in the land of Chinooks, knows where I can get one, I would really appreciate it.
mikemclean

Post by mikemclean »

Clay!
Thank you VERY much. I'm sorry, but I'm not real familiar how this site works, but thanks a ton for the link to order one! I have my fingers crossed they have the right one.
Last edited by mikemclean on September 15th, 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikemclean

Post by mikemclean »

I'm hopeful I can find the right one. I guess these ECUs in the 1993 Ford chinooks use a sepcial "cutaway?" model of ECU, so hopefully, I'll still be able to locate one somewhere.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

If you can confirm the cutaway has a different ECU than the regular one, let us know. I am surprised that there is a different ECU for the trim. But there is plenty of cutaway out there, so you should have have any problem getting a replacement either way.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
mikemclean

Post by mikemclean »

It's all greek to me, and now the shop has shipped it out to be rebuilt, so I don't have a visual to even go off of.
Thank you. I plan on keeping the Chinook for almost ever, so I want to make sure I do all I can, including buying a backup ECU.