Awning and water pressure regulator

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Fawn

Awning and water pressure regulator

Post by Fawn »

I don't see the listing I just wrote this morning for these same questions, so I hope I'm not duplicating my efforts.

My Chinook Concourse 1998 is in the shop and I'm trying to purchase a mat to go under my awning. I don't have the measurements of the awning (and can't drive to the shop) and haven't been able to find them in either the manual, the pdf for the awning, or the pdf for replacement awnings. I may have not been looking hard enough but definitely tried.
I now have two options for mats - 6x9 or 9x12 and can't decide which one is best until I know the area it's going under.
If anyone happens to know the measurements of the awning, I'd be happy to have them.

Also, do I need an additional water pressure regulator for the city water since there seems to be one already installed on the Chinook?
BTW - I'm so appreciative of this forum and all who contribute. Thanks in advance.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Awning and water pressure regulator

Post by chin_k »

For the pressure regulator, I don't think there is one for most Concourse, but there are a few exceptions when owner install them. There is a one-way valve (check valve) right behind the city water connection, however.

I usually do not have water hookup, so I don't want to spend almost a hundred dollars and get a piece that I need to bring around with me, but I guess some of us have regulator and filter on their hookup, since they do not trust their water. For the electric hookup, some people have a power conditioner and surge protector on theirs too.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Fawn

Post by Fawn »

Thanks for your input. The water regulator I got wasn't very expensive and it just screws onto the hose, or on the input on the vehicle. Not sure where yet. I guess it can't hurt.
Newgmole

Post by Newgmole »

Water pressure regulator absolutely does not hurt… I can testify to that! I’ve pulled up at my site, hooked up, went out for dinner with my wife and came back to a flooded camper. UGG what a mess. :o
As for the pad mat. I would get one a little bit bigger as you can always use the extra space to keep dirt out of your unit. Good luck.
1998 Premier V8
Fawn

Post by Fawn »

Thanks. Good to know I'm not duplicating my efforts. Sorry for your mess but it served as a warning to me and for that I'm grateful.
terance13

Post by terance13 »

We carry a regulator with us...always use it. Also have a water filter...candidly I can't the difference in taste with it but my wife thinks it makes the water taste "fresher".

Our awning is about 10x11, but we don't have a rug/mat...not sure where to store it; but more importantly, don't want to transport a soggy wet rug/mat around (AND IT WILL GET WET!!!!)

Enjoy your new rig!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The water must be very awful for anyone to taste the difference if you have the carbon filter. They mostly remove sediment, some bacteria, and some chemical like chlorine and some reactive compounds. It does not remove minerals like calcium, magnesium for example.

If the water has lots of dissolved solids (minerals), then you can only taste the difference with reverse osmosis filter. They take up a lot of room, and mostly used in Class A rigs. For drinking purpose, I usually used bottled water, but it is difficult to do that if we go on a long trip.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Fawn

Post by Fawn »

Thanks for additional info. I was able to get a 6x9 mat which fits neatly under my awning. It does get wet and needs to be dried at home as do my sewer hose and other hoses. I just hooked up for the first time and all went well. Looking forward to my next trip in Oct.