R&R Rear Shock - Right Side - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
NUUKEEE

Post by NUUKEEE »

Ok. I've replaced shocks on my various vehicles (including old British Triumps) since 1968 but I'm stumped on the 1999 Chinook right side (Passenger) shock removal. Left side (Driver) was a piece of cake (comparatively).

I admitt, I only spent 5 minutes late yesterday attacking this issue but I can see its a nasty son-of-a-gun.

What is the trick to getting the top nut removed?? Someone must have dealt with this SUCCESSFULLY before now. My Bilstein is waiting.

Thx for any (humanly possible) suggestions. I'm counting you guys !! :lol:

N~
1999 Chinook Concourse - Pretty Much Stock !!
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: R&R Rear Shock - Right Side - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

Post by chin_k »

I watched a few youtube video before I thought I was about to deal with this issue. Did any of them helped?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
NUUKEEE

Post by NUUKEEE »

Kevin - Nope ... You Tubes were no help this time BUT ...

:lol: ************************* Good News **************************** :lol:

Hold up ... We can Celebrate Success ... Original Shock are both out.
Ended up having to MacGyver the heck out of this project (or at least the right side SHOCK)

Inserted a 1mm Box End wrench through the narrow opening just in front of the rear tire and above the Frame. Got the box end to sit on the Shock's Top Nut. Then I was able to shove a standard 14" construction / demolition flat pry bar up from below next to the frame to stake the wrench. Had to tie the bar in place as I needed both hands for next part.
I then wrapped my " 8" Chain Plyers" around the top tube of the old shock - up as far as I could slide it. There are lots of large immovable stuff in the way (like Drive Shaft, Muffler, Tail Pipe and the LP line to the appliances) so be patient. With the Chain Plyers locked in place on the shock, I was able to get a health pull and spun the top shock tube 1/16th of a rotation, which was just enough to feel the nut break loose. With all the rust and crud on the threads of the Shock Top Stud, each tiny rotation is a bit of a struggle but at least I knew I could eventually win the fight and the war (LoL).

Took about an hour to finesse the shock 1/16th to 1/8th of a rotation to back the shock down, but hey, it worked.

With the old shocks out of the way, I'm installing Firestone Air Bags followed by Bilstein Shocks. I need 1" - 2" of lift in the REAR to deal with my driveway to street transition. The Chinook has threatened to scar my driveway apron with the hitch receiver since day one. I've been using 2x10"x 5' wood ramps as a bridge for over 6 mos and they are a real PITA. Also replacing the front shock and Steering Stabilizer.

Haven't figured out how to post pic attachments so PM me if you'd like to see a couple pics showing the tool alignment.

Cheers,

N~
NUUKEEE

Post by NUUKEEE »

... and I may have found a work around for adding a pic. Here you see the alignment of the tools to the shock. The rectangular metal try underneath all is just to represent the frame.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... 2OKtzZG1Je
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

We need to have a FAQ for posting pic. It is not obvious.

Under the box for posting reply, there is these "options" and "Attachments" tabs. The attachment tab is the one you use to post pictures. Make so much sense :roll:
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis