Side mirror length considerations

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Blue~Go

Re: Side mirror length considerations

Post by Blue~Go »

As private vehicle owners in the US, we can choose to change things. Technically we could be cited, but it's unlikely to happen unless a change is really crazy or something bad happens. But companies like Chinook have to work to the standards (FMVSS or whatever standard would apply), since they are the responsible final builder. You might consider keeping the longer mirrors to sell with the vehicle just to keep it as-built when you pass it along (in terms of vehicular standards; of course we make lots of internal mods but that's a little different).

I first realized how this works when I bought a different brand of small RV that was sold by Ford as an incomplete vehicle. There was a slight error in the VIN tag, and since I was buying from the original owners it had never been noticed (because no title change in all those years). That's when I found out that it was only sort of a Ford since it had been completed by the upfitter and not by Ford (similar to our Chinooks). Because of that, the upfitters were the ones who had to issue a corrected door jamb vehicle sticker. Luckily we worked through that so I was able to buy it.

I actually find the BEMM, the Incomplete Vehicle Manual, etc. pretty interesting to read (though not as fun when you are looking for one needle of information in the haystack at one moment in time). It's amazing when you see all the things builders like Chinook had to figure out and account for that we can basically take for granted.
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Interesting info. Thanks.
I’ll think seriously about keeping the old 96’s in event of future sale…but if I do, our friend Chin will be sorely disappointed—He has his eye on them :)!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Oops, sorry chin_k ;)
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

No problem. Mine currently is like a Frankenstein monster, with different style, so I was thinking about getting a used set, and powder coat it and install one of the sides.

What is important is that we look out for each others as a group. I can be a bit more selfish and sue Dave for breach of contract ;)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

deppstein wrote: February 24th, 2022, 4:55 am
When I talked to the Velvac tech on the phone and gave him my dimension across the back (I believe it was the 88” across the headlights), he did say the general rule is that anything over 86” gets 96” and anything over 96” gets 102”. So, on both counts—whether Ford supplied mirrors or not, it is now clear to me that 96” were indeed the recommended spec.
Since Chinook lists the exterior width of our 21-footers as 91" (7'7"), I think they must be slightly wider at the midpoint than at the rear by the taillights, and of course Chinook would be using this width for the mirrors. So we are into the 96" mirror territory by 5".

My buddy's "other brand" Class C body was 99" overall width but they put on 96" mirrors. Rear view into the lane was pretty terrible and definitely way past the 200' that it looks like is required in many states. I say good on Chinook for not scrimping as when the vehicle is purchased new, we should be able to assume that, for example, the lights, mirrors, etc. are up to proper standards (he assumed the same thing but found out otherwise and replaced them; those Velvacs don't come cheap!)
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I agree...good for Chinook...and it supports your point about keeping the 96's...and putting it in my will that the kids MUST replace before using themselves or selling, whichever comes first. What suits me might not suit them.
....again, sorry Chin...and my lawyer says that those emails won't hold up in court...they merely discuss the prospect of mailing them to you. :)
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I definitely need to get better lawyer. :lol:

I wish there is a button on the dash that allows you to telescoping the mirror in when you park or passing cyclist. Some of the newer cars have that feature when they turn off the ignition, for example.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chin_k wrote: February 24th, 2022, 8:04 pm I wish there is a button on the dash that allows you to telescoping the mirror in when you park or passing cyclist. Some of the newer cars have that feature when they turn off the ignition, for example.
That would be handy! A friend's F-150 has stock telescoping mirrors. Since the vehicle is not always the same width like ours are, you can have them stick out less when not towing, then put them out all the way for towing. That part is manual, but they do have power fold so it ends up about the same in convenience.

However, they do not extend far enough for towing an 8'6" wide trailer. Major oversight IMO (they are fine for an 8' trailer but lots of trailers are 8'6" nowadays). So yay for power fold; boo for mirrors (and it's the top towing package mirrors too) that can't extend wide enough on a vehicle with a Max Tow package.

While we are on the topic, do the Velvac 2020 mirrors also "fold" forward? (The Velvac 2015's only fold toward the back.) That might make it so you could fold them forward a bit which would make them narrower (don't know if they would have a detent there tho, but at least in narrow places).
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I’m hold up for the day at an RV plug-in at a Service Plaza on Ohio Turnpike west of Cleveland. Snow all day from here to Boston, but clear tomorrow. I tried checking the swing action on my New Velvac 86” 2020s, but it was covered in ice. So that test will have to wait. But a check of the Velvac website lists the swing action forward and back as a feature.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The new Velvac will swing both ways. I confirmed it.

I can also confirm that it does swing back when you hit something with the mirror. However, it will still cause quite some damage on itself and/or the object/person it hit if you go faster than 5mph. Just not as bad as fixed mirror.