Concourse Rear step replacement

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Airkooled

Concourse Rear step replacement

Post by Airkooled »

Could anyone tell me what they have used to replace the rear fold down entry step? The slides on mine are all worn and the step is getting shakey.
Would you bolt a single step drop down to the bumper step? It doesn't look like there would be enough clearance between the bumper step and receiver. Thank You
Blue~Go

Re: Concourse Rear step replacement

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Airkooled,

Would you mind putting your year and model somewhere (unless I missed finding it)? Signature line is a good option and allows us to see it when you make a post.

This applies to a 90's-2000's 21-footer, btw:

You may not want to go this way, but just FYI, the company that originally built the steps for Chinook is still in business (or at least was recently) in Yakima, Washington.

Info:

ASAP Metal Fabricators Inc.
313 S. 3rd Ave.
Yakima, WA 98902
509-453-9143

They made up a quote for rear step/parts/bumperlets back in 2018 so they apparently still had the specs from the original fab.
1999 Concourse
caconcourse

Re: Concourse Rear step replacement

Post by caconcourse »

In my opinion, the original folding step is the best design of all of the Chinooks, before and after. It sounds like yours needs to be refurbished. I've taken mine apart a couple of times, and it's still working like new. You need the proper spacing of washers, spacers, bolts, etc., and if parts are bent, they need to be straightened, but all can be repaired and repainted if you have the original metal parts. A new fabricated replacement was quoted for more than $1000, so don't throw away the parts.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA