Engine will not turn over

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Ytracy

Engine will not turn over

Post by Ytracy »

1994 chinook on a Ford E-350 frame. Battery is pushing over 13 volts. Ran fine when I parked it a week ago. Now I turn the key and nothing. No clicking, no loss of power, just nothing. I’ve tried jumping it with no success. Any suggestion is welcome.
Ytracy

Re: Engine will not turn over

Post by Ytracy »

I did replace the positive cable from the battery to the left hand solenoid as it was corroded.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

The gear selector might not be all the way in park. Try moving it to neutral and see if it'll start.
Could be the starter relay. Cheap replacement. Could be the starter. Personally, I'd replace both if I wasn't sure how old they were.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Measure the voltage at the starter if you think it is the starter problem. Sometimes a light tap with a rubber mallet can get it to crank, but it usually does not go dead all of a sudden.

Do you see the voltage drop when you crank the engine? It should if the starter is trying to crank. If no discernible drop, maybe it is the starter solenoid.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Ytracy

Post by Ytracy »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have time Saturday and will give them a try.