Replacing belts and hoses in emergency situation

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Replacing belts and hoses in emergency situation

Post by Flame »

Leaving in about a month for a 4,000 mile round trip in my 1998 Concourse with Ford V-10 Triton. Question...can any belts and hoses be replaced on side of road in case of emergency? Don't we have just ONE serpentine belt that runs everything? I want to purchase a spare serpentine belt and maybe an idler pully to carry with us. But...are hoses too hard to replace on side of road? If not, which ones should I stock and carry with us? I only have 50,000 miles on the vehicle. Thanks!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Replacing belts and hoses in emergency situation

Post by chin_k »

That is pretty low mileage for a 1998. I have not look into the belt yet, but I do have a spare belt with the rig. It maybe a pain if you do not have a serpentine install tool to do the belt replacement, but I do not know. I may want to get a replacement pulley now that you mention it.

For the hose, I think if you inspect it to make sure it is not cracked or "dry rot" on the outside, it should hold up for a long trip. You can't possibly carry spare for every part in the chassis, you know, but having some simple tools for tire change and minor mechanical emergency work is a good insurance.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Replacing belts and hoses in emergency situation

Post by Flame »

Thanks Chin, I went ahead and purchased a serpentine belt to carry. Did not buy the pully. In all actuality if I break down I will probably have to call roadside assistance anyway! I am making sure my generator runs good and will keep plenty gas in the rv the whole trip in case we have to set on side of road for several hours for any reason!! We also stock drinking water and emergency food on board! We once broke down on I-10 in Louisiana in my BRAND NEW Ford F-250 diesel and it would NOT start. Wife and I waited 4 hours in Summer heat for a tow truck!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark