Sliding window locks

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
1998chinook

Sliding window locks

Post by 1998chinook »

How do your sliding windows lock?

I have these installed on the end of the slider that when turned are supposed to fit in a channel of the stationary window, but they don't fit or engage properly.

I have no idea of the previous owner purchased these because of the above problem.

The above fit in the lower sliding channel and by tightening the wing nut, it prevents the sliding window from sliding any further than where the lock is set.
Blue~Go

Re: Sliding window locks

Post by Blue~Go »

I just took a look at the window locks on my 1999. They are the same as you show in the top photo (but anodized black). On my windows they do engage and lock the window just as they look like they should. I don't have anything like the wing-nut block. I'm guessing you have the same windows I do, in which case they were made by SEGI, who are no longer in business as far as I know.

So I'm trying to visualize how they could not work. My first thought is that the sliding window is not moving far enough aft (i.e. sliding far enough closed), perhaps due to some added weatherstripping? Or? I guess better would be to ask "in what way are they not fitting" the groove on the stationary window?

Now if I could just find a source for the darned screen clips - do you have those? (I have hunted online, plus have brought one of my existing screen clips to every RV store I have ever been to..... no dice).
1999 Concourse
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Yes, it does not feel like the window closes far enough. There is a small piece of weather stripping I will try removing to see if they engage then.

The locks on mine are plastic, and one is missing on each window. I ordered those metal replacements from Home Depot online. They do look, and installed appear to be the correct size.

No screen clips either. The screens are annoying.... but the channel lock also works on holding the screen in place with the window slid open.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I took a closer look at the locks on mine (we must have the same windows), and you are right, they are plastic. Most of the window stuff is dark/metal, so I assumed (always dangerous!).

Yeah, those screen clips :x I wish I knew someone with a 3D printer or something! You can see they are a simple extrusion with bits sliced off, but who can make an extrusion? (Not me.) The design, with the way the screen sits sort of half in and half out of the track, makes it hard to come up with something different. Exasperating. I now travel with one of the clips in an old Tic-Tac container just so I can whip it out if I'm ever in any shop that *might* have them or know of them. So far I've stumped everyone :D

So one of my screens has a full set of clips (without looking, there must be 4-6 of them), but the other only had one (which is now in the Tic-Tac container). So that screen just hangs around getting in my way and is not on the window. Ugh!
1999 Concourse