Water inlet?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Gold
**Forum Contributor**

Water inlet?

Post by Gold »

Hi everyone. Ive had my Chin-nook for years. love it. While winterizing i noticed an hose inlet above the water inlet? Never noticed this one! Is this for city water? And if so i presume there is no auto cut off.
BobW9

Re: Water inlet?

Post by BobW9 »

It is for pressurized water, usually city water. It does not fill the fresh water tank. My sales doc mentioned the inlet as having an internal pressure regulator on it, but when I replaced the inlet fixture I found it was just attached directly to the cold water pipe. It is good practice to place an external regulator between the incoming city water and the inlet, to make sure water doesn't come in with too high a pressure. Personally, I've never used mine, as I like to just fill the fresh water tank and use it, since one tankfull will just fill the gray and black tanks (I never attach my waste system directly to a dump, even if my campsite has one, which they usually don't).
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Water inlet?

Post by chin_k »

Yes, there is a garden hose adapter for taking in city water, and it goes to the pressured side of the pump. I am not familiar with the auto cut off. Are you referring to pressure regulator, or back flow prevention valve?

The advantage of using the city water inlet is to allow you to get more than a tankful of water if you have the sewage hookup at camp site. It also will save wear and tear on your water pump. However, one disadvantage is that if the pipe leaks, it will be a much bigger issue, since the water is not limited to what is in the tank, and delivered by the pump. I usually disconnect it when I am out for hike or away from the rig for extended amount of time.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis