Front Spare tire carrier Phifertex cover

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
mickeydo

Front Spare tire carrier Phifertex cover

Post by mickeydo »

Hi, newbie with a 2000 Concourse. I have relocated the spare tire to the front and am searching for a suitable cover for it. There was a discussion on this in another thread a few years back. I believe senior member Blue-Go had done this upgrade using the Phifertex material he sourced from Sail-Rite. I am looking for a bit more info: How many yards of fabric (54" wide) are needed ? and can anyone recommend a sewing service who can do this ? Thanks, I have contacted a few boat cover fabricators near me but they are all very busy (currently in N.E. PA). Also, I do not have enough activity in this forum to contact Blue-Go directly via private message.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Front Spare tire carrier Phifertex cover

Post by deppstein »

I can’t help you with material for the cover you want to fashion, but, based on my experience with using covers on our e-bikes that are mounted up front, I would be careful not to block the airflow through the grill too much as it does affect both the radiator water temp and transmission fluid temp. To monitor those things, I would invest in a scan gauge (easy to install and available at most auto parts stores) to monitor those temps. There is at least one thread on this forum discussing this (search scan gauge). I also have posted on several occasions about my experience with front mounting the e-bikes (search that as well) both in terms of air flow and blocking of headlights.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need helping in finding the threads I mentioned.
David
mickeydo

Post by mickeydo »

Thanks David. I have already invested in a Scan Gauge and use it to monitor the water and transmission temperatures. The Phifertex material will apparently allow some airflow through which is why it may be ideal for this cover.

mike
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Sounds like you are definitely on top of things. If/when you get your cover made and installed, I, for one, would be interested in hearing how you like it. How waterproof is the material? And what are the trans and water temps running with it installed.
David
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think any reupholstery service nearby should be able to help you with the sewing service. Let us know how it goes.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
mickeydo

Post by mickeydo »

Thanks for the advice. My wife got tired at looking at the uncovered spare so she ordered a cover online. Will monitor the temps and if I see them too high will remove the cover while in transit. Down in Florida last month the water temp peaked at 225 degrees but I was travelling on I-75 and doing 70+ mph with A/C on. The transmission temp never went past 200 degrees. From my limited experience and knowledge I believe these are acceptable but am wary of going much higher.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I have experienced similar temps under similar conditions, and, like you, feel that is acceptable for periods of time (not constantly). Backing down to 65 mph always brings it down pretty quickly. Just to be on the safe side, I also change engine oil every 5,000 miles and trans fluid every 25-30,000.
Safe Travels.
David