Domestic absorption refrigerator (?control board)

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Foxy7869

Domestic absorption refrigerator (?control board)

Post by Foxy7869 »

Recently the hose that goes to the ice maker broke and it wasn't discovered until everything was soaked inside and out(happened overnight). I've checked the fuses and of course the breaker. The outlet is getting power and I've plugged the fridge in elsewhere and still nothing.. I've tried resetting the refrigerator... So now I'm down to the control board.. but wouldn't you know I'm having trouble getting the metal cover off.. I don't wanna use force for fear of breaking something else..
My question is... How do I get panel off( do I really have to move ever plug and wire in whole compartment of the back of refrigerator??? And
Does anybody have any idea of what it could be?? it was all submerged in water I'm open to any suggestions?
JabberBox

Re: Domestic absorption refrigerator (?control board)

Post by JabberBox »

I dont mess with absorption fridges anymore after having a fire with the dometic 3 way that was in my Chinook. Personally i would yank out an absorption fridge and replace it with a marine style fridge that runs on 12 volts and shore power. They are not worth the risk not even if your excuse for repairing it is because you cant afford a marine style replacement. I was lucky to have caught the fire on mine within seconds of it starting. A minute or two more and the fire would have consumed my Chinook because i wouldnt have been able to extinguish it. :|

Most people havent replaced the refridgerators in their Chinooks and are still running 20 year old units. After my personal experience i think thats crazy beyond belief. Its taking a massive risk imo. Sorry im not much help in the appliance department.
Foxy7869

Post by Foxy7869 »

Yea. No help. But thanks I guess
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I'm confused about your setup. what year is your chinook, and which fridge do you have? I don't have a icemaker, and there is no hose, but a propane line to goes to the fridge. The cover for the fridge is also plastic, and the controller is inside a plastic case, so are you referring to the front of the fridge where the "eye brow" level control switches are?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Foxy7869

Post by Foxy7869 »

chin_k wrote: July 25th, 2023, 8:46 pm I'm confused about your setup. what year is your chinook, and which fridge do you have? I don't have a icemaker, and there is no hose, but a propane line to goes to the fridge. The cover for the fridge is also plastic, and the controller is inside a plastic case, so are you referring to the front of the fridge where the "eye brow" level control switches are?
Well I have a small confession.. when all this happened with my refrigerator. I have frantically and intently(I was trying to beat the time of food spoiling) searching for answers on Google and YouTube. That's when I ran across this forum.. I've never been on a forum before and I don't know much about RVs.. so first of all .... Stupid autocorrect changed DOMETIC to domestic in the subject... And READY HERES THE GOOD PART....
I thought CHINOOK was just the name of the forum, I didn't know it was a make of RV. Hahaha.dumb
Anyway to answer your question.. I have a Fleetwood. I left my question up after I realized my mistake cuz I figured somebody might still be able to help. Plus I didn't think RV refrigerators differed too much. Sorry if I confused you and I apologize for wasting your time.
Attached is pics of back of fridge... Yellow line was the one that broke... Yes water
Attachments
IMG_20230725_121548.jpg
IMG_20230725_121507.jpg
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Yeah, we don't usually have Fleetwood user here, and your fridge is very different from what is in a Chinook.

With that said, I think your best path is to get hold of your fridge user and service manual. It should have instruction about installation and repair, and troubleshooting. When electronic in the controller board gets wet, it is very possible that the components are ruined, and maybe that is what happened. Sometimes if there is little or no electronics (just electric, nothing is solid state), things can get back to normal once you dry the component. If the controller is fried, you will need to get replacement for it. Again, the instruction for remove and replace the control board will be on the manual or from the seller of the replacement. My suggestion is to label or document all the connections with photos so that you can put everything back together.

Good luck.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis