backup camera just black screen

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
Manitou
Site Admin

backup camera just black screen

Post by Manitou »

Backup camera is just black screen now. I accidentally left my lights on and killed the engine battery. Gave myself a jump with the boost start button. Now backup camera is just a black screen.
(Thought it was related to a backup light issue, but that was a loose connection that's fixed.. Still no camera though).
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: backup camera just black screen

Post by Manitou »

Just a follow up.. The aftermarket camera crapped out. New one installed.. Hopefully this one lasts. (I didn't install either one, but the first one was amature in comparison to this one.. Let's hope that translates to no problems and longevity.)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Glad you got it going (albeit a new one).

I bet I'm not the only one considering the various backup cameras. If you care to post it, I'd like to know the models of the "bad" and good one.
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I installed one of these last week.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010H0 ... ge_o06_s00

The forward camera takes decent quality photos and videos, which is great while driving somewhere especially scenic. The front and rear cameras can be toggled easily, or display picture-in-picture. The unit clips to the rear view mirror so it doesn’t take up additional windshield viewing area like a suction cup mount. (BTW, I never really understood why my rig even has a rear view mirror, but it turns out to be useful for making sure my dog isn’t screwing around behind me). The only notable downside so far is that it looks a little goofy to have a mirror scabbed onto another mirror. But if I decide to keep it, I’ll correct that and do a more permanent installation.

It has a lot of features that are pretty cool, but in my experience with the recent wave of semi-disposable Chinese consumer electronics, there are two things that remain consistent: 1) the controls are not intuitive, and 2) it could fail at any time.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Scott wrote: (BTW, I never really understood why my rig even has a rear view mirror, but it turns out to be useful for making sure my dog isn’t screwing around behind me).
I used to be the same way. Most of the big vehicles I've driven, there was absolutely nothing to be seen in the "rear view" mirror, and I never even looked at it. Used the side mirrors exclusively. As a side note, I tended to roll my eyes at those "fresnel" prism dealies that people would stick on their rear windows. Geez, come on, just learn to use your side mirrors.

Well then, I have no idea why, but I saw one of those things on Amazon that just fits the rear door window in my Concourse, so I impulsively bought it and put it on (just uses water to stick on). Wow, the thing is great! Of course side mirrors rule, but with the "fresnel" I can see RIGHT up to the back door, and basically the whole area that the side mirrors don't cover. As a side bonus, while camping, it lets me see if someone is coming to the door (from way over to the side). I'm now a huge fan. Plus of course I can keep tabs on what's falling over in the living room :D

Anyway, if you haven't tried one, you might be pleasantly surprised. I got this one, from Amazon.

CIPA 60300 Wide Angle Lens - 11" x 14"

Of course now I tell you, when you maybe have a rear-view camera there at this point ;)
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Mine also came with a Fresnel lens which I love. I can see cars behind me when they are in the blind spot of the mirrors. It also gives me a rough idea how close I am to backing up into something. I'm in the market for a backup camera so I'm following this with interest. I have always loved playing with Fresnel lenses. I keep one onboard because they can start a fire real quick. They get much hotter than a magnifying glass. I used to crack small rocks with the lens size I have. I also bought welding goggles because of how bright they are. I figure it would be a great emergency fire starter as long as it was sunny.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

My backup camera was factory installed, the monitor and controls are mounted on the visor, is Voyager model AOM561. It is wired to the vehicle battery, comes on automatically in reverse plus has a manual power button. I neglected to turn it off after manual use resulting in a dead battery, so it does not go through the ignition. Got the battery charged up but the camera is dead.

A neighbor took a look at and saw the wires out of the visor and down into the column between the windshield and driver side window but did not see where they go from there. He is going to come back with his tester but wondered if anyone knows how that camera would be wired. The camera wiring diagram shows some inline fuses but no indication where in the lines they are.

Any ideas? Thanks,
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby