1995 concourse toilet ball seal

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
VT Chinook

1995 concourse toilet ball seal

Post by VT Chinook »

I am looking for some help in finding a replacement ball/flush seal for my 1995 concourse. The seal is leaking and the odor is not pleasant. Fortunately for now it only smells when we drive with the windows down but that's not bound to stay that way.

Thanks for any help on this.
caconcourse

Re: 1995 concourse toilet ball seal

Post by caconcourse »

These are available at many places, but this is one of the cheapest: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115866329667?h ... Sw3flkuZiX There are you tube videos on replacement but I broke my toilet when I tried to replace mine following one's instructions. The proper way is to remove the toilet and replace it from the bottom. It's not hard to get the toilet out (4 bolts and unscrew the water supply) and it's much easier to work on. I broke it trying to remove the pedal, not realizing there were three screws instead of just 2 holding the spring valve in.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Make sure the vent is not the cause for the odor. If the cover is not correct, for example, when the rig is moving, it will push the air from the outside to the black tank, and permeant the odor from the toilet to the rest of the interior.
(But yeah, a ball seal should fix that, and a easy way to test is to pour some water in the toilet when the ball seal is closed, and if the water disappears, then it has an obvious leak.)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Do you know which toilet you have? Is it new to you? My 1994 originally had the Aqua Magic IV. It had a tiny water trap supposedly designed to accommodate an overflow situation. If yours has a trap, and it dries out, you'll get black tank gas in the coach regardless of the condition of the flush mechanism.. If this is the case, try overflowing the toilet intentionally; it'll fill the trap and drain back into the black tank. Assuming your flush assembly is working, that might get rid of the stink. The trap in mine held a miniscule amount of water which dried up rather quickly, and I wasn't going to make it a habit to fill the toilet to the rim, so I battled the stink for a while by periodically filling the trap using a water bottle (it was in a weird spot).

FWIW, I replaced my original toilet with the model V. I've had no problems since. I'm not going to say these toilets aren't worth fixing, but getting a whole new toilet is pretty nice relative to cost.
1994 Premier
VT Chinook

Post by VT Chinook »

Thanks all for the responses, it is for sure the seal as the bowl will not hold water. The toilet is a Sealand Traveler and I am not sure if it is original to the rig or not.

caconcourse the ebay link you sent didn't look like it had the seal only the ball and rotation mech. Can you tell me if it came with the rubber seal as well?

Thanks
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think the seal is a separate item, around $10.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Here are the seals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GN ... RA6F&psc=1 you can replace these without removing the toilet, but you have to remove the top half, which is held to the bottom with a huge metal hose-type clamp. If your ball valve is still smooth (no hard water deposits), replacing the seals may be all you need.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
VT Chinook

Post by VT Chinook »

Perfect that is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks again for the help.