Awning inspected

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Blue~Go

Re: Awning inspected

Post by Blue~Go »

I would really like a rear door awning. It's tricky because it has to be really high/horizontal to clear the door when it opens. They do make some for truck campers. It would be easier if the ladder were removed.

I did make a primitive one using shade cloth and adjustable poles plus guy wires but I just like to be able to drive if I want to, so I hardly ever use it.

What I would also *really* like to have are window awning(s) - especially on the couch window. A friend has those and they rock. Take five seconds to put in and out (one hand). Can withstand much more wind so I would use it all the time. I have thought about getting one for the couch side and might even put one on the other side if my awning ever broke. When I do use my awning, I often just put it out a little bit like a window awning (but much more involved to deploy). But it's still nice to have, and it shades the refrigerator wall along with the window.

One tip: If you have the awning partway out and a wind storm comes up, you then have to put it ALL the way out in order to get it in. That can really suck, especially if you are solo! So what I do in that case is just roll it in without putting the legs up in the case (which is why you have to roll it further out). Instead I lay the legs down flat to the body, and use two gear ties to "tie" them to the foot brackets. That keeps the legs from flopping around or touching the body and I can easily roll the awning most of the way in. Then when the wind dies down I can roll it back out much further to stow the legs properly. I'll do this same method if I want to pull it in at night and then put it out again in the morning right away.

Another thing I do to save fiddling is leave the awning crank arm attached, and then gear tie the other end to the support leg on a diagonal. Also quicker if a wind comes up cause it's already there, ready to go.
1999 Concourse
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

My wife and I are about to travel to Napa Valley here in California and are staying at an RV Park there. We have been informed that there is no shade available, so I went out to inspect and try to deploy our awning and to my surprise - the leg-to-body bracket on the rear side is missing! It appears that a reflector was placed there instead of the bracket when the RV was built, or possibly the original owner put the reflector there to cover up the holes. I have located a similar bracket that Blue~Go bought to replace his, but the bracket won't arrive in time for our trip. So, it means deploy the awning with the legs straight up at the end of the awning onto the concrete.

Any one know what issues I might have trying to deploy it? I have a feeling that it hasn't been deployed by previous owners, and I am afraid that if I deploy it before we go on the trip, I won't get it back in place...

Chinook Missing awning bracket.jpg
2000 Chinook Concourse - Dinette
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Flip a coin i guess. I would rather deploy it at home to see what shape its in than wait until im far away from home and find out i cant get it retracted again or some other issue.
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

My thoughts as well. If I have a problem and cannot retract it back - off it goes. I will try it out tomorrow. I am also thinking of removing the strange placement of the reflector. I bet there are two holes on the body underneath...
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Pretty smart/sneaky thing to do by the reflector there!

I would definitely deploy it and see if you can retract it and look to make sure it is sound mechanically. You maybe able to mount the leg onto the reflector, or put a metal clamp there in place of the reflector temporary, or you can try to extend the legs to the ground instead of onto the bracket. It is more work to put it on the ground, but I am sure you can figure some DIY holder with a chair/rock and tie it to the rear leg. Just make sure it is not too windy, and you should be fine.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

Hi Chin,

I removed the reflector and scrapped a little of the adhesive away and viola, there's two holes there. I now suspect the RV Dealer did it. And it was certainly cheeky of them. I never noticed it out of place until I tried to locate the bracket.

I was able to deploy the awning and set it up with the legs extended to the ground. I went ahead and ordered the replacement Viamma parts and it turns out they will get here in time. The awning looks ok and I was able to retract it. I lubed the joints with a little WD40 and will try out deploying and retracting a couple of more times before we head to Napa Valley.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jon
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Glad to know that you were able to deploy it on the ground as well as getting the part you needed before you heading out.

However, I would avoid the WD40, and would go for more appropriate lub. I would call the Viamma folks and see what they recommend. WD40 tends to gum up and attract dirt, and not my first choice for things that going to be used outside.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis