WARNING: LED vent light

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
JabberBox

WARNING: LED vent light

Post by JabberBox »

I have a fantastic vent fan in my concourse. Since they do not come with a light like the original vent fans did a person has to figure out how to put a light back in the bathroom when installing a maxfan or fantastic fan in the bathroom. I chose this style of LED light for its simplicity, huge mistake.

These things are a fire hazard so be warned if you have one. It started to rain while i was sleeping and the bathroom vent lid was open slightly, it rained hard enough that water ran down the interior of the open lid and pooled inside this LED light. Eventually it shorted out and literally started to burn and melt. No fuse blown, nothing, this would have likely started a huge fire if i had not smelled it first.
DSC02258.JPG
DSC02255.JPG
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: WARNING: LED vent light

Post by deppstein »

For some time I contemplated upgrading the original incandescent lights around the bathroom hatch with more efficient LEDs...your post makes me glad I went another route--scary. Glad you are OK.
Instead of messing around with the existing fixture, I decided, based on a post I had seen years ago about these Portable, Rechargable, LED, Magnetic Light bars (Defiant Brand, 13.5 inches, available at Home Depot). I have three of them, two magnetically mounted on either side of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom (sconces!) and one magnetically attached inside the range hood. The last about two weeks between charges, have three brightness settings, and have been perfect for their intended use. No drain on the battery, and better lighting than original in both cases. Pics attached.
David
Attachments
bathroom lights.jpg
stove light.jpg
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

JabberBox wrote: June 16th, 2023, 3:32 pm ...
These things are a fire hazard so be warned if you have one. It started to rain while i was sleeping and the bathroom vent lid was open slightly, it rained hard enough that water ran down the interior of the open lid and pooled inside this LED light. Eventually it shorted out and literally started to burn and melt. No fuse blown, nothing, this would have likely started a huge fire if i had not smelled it first.
Glad that it did not cause more damage. Do you have the make and model of these hazard? If I get one, despite you warning, I would add an inline fuse to it for sure. I have a feeling that these products are not UL-listed and poorly made.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

I wired it into the existing wire that powers the fan. That said it should be fused already, but it didnt blow a fuse. I smelled it burning but i couldnt find where the smell was coming from. Then after 5 minutes of looking under the sink and everyplace else i opened the bathroom door and smoke billowed out of the bathroom despite the vent lid being partially open.

It is dangerous, you can see how the plastic cover is recessed to cover the LED strips inside, when water gets in threw the vent lid it acts as a water trap and before long the LED strips are swimming in water. If your rain sensor fails and the light is on youre gonna have problems. Once water is inside that plastic cover i imagine it would take a few days for it to evaporate depending on your climate.

Its this thing.....
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LED-Roof ... 3-4780.htm
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Thank you for the link. Wonder if a dedicated 750 mA or a 1A fuse will help the issue. But you probably right that it will burn if the water gets in there.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

I ordered this same item before seeing this thread. According to the mfgr's specs: Power Rating = 12V DC / 0.72A / 8.64W. So would a 750mA inline fuse work?
2000 Chinook Concourse - Dinette
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Normally lights and such don't have separate fuses for them (check the overhead lights, for example). In the case of the burning in the bathroom, I think it unlikely that a fuse on it would have helped - it most likely came from heat due to the water, and a normal fuse won't blow due to heat. The melting came from the lights and water combination, so I doubt if there had been a fuse, that it would have seen a current spike needed to blow it. This is the same kind of thing that happens even near a circuit breaker panel, when there are loose or corroded connections from the wires to the breakers - things melt without the breakers tripping.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a correctly sized fuse. At the least, the fuse should be 20% over the normal current expected, as if the current is any closer to the max allowed for the fuse, it will wear the fuse down over time. In this case I'd use maybe a 1A fuse.

Also note that the smaller the fuse, the more resistance it will have (because the thin wire that makes up the fuse will be smaller), so you'll have more voltage loss. Normally this doesn't matter, unless you're at the end of a small gauge wire and the voltage loss up to that point is enough that adding in the fuse's drop means the component sees too low a voltage to function correctly.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

Thank you for your advice. Those of us that are members of this forum that are not electricians, like myself, are truly blessed that folks like you are members.

I haven’t received the item yet, but I will look it over before deciding whether to install it. It attaches over the vent garnish, so it is also exposed to water condensation from someone taking a shower. I wonder if it is not sealed to prevent water from intruding. If I do install it and put a 1A fuse in an inline fuse holder, the fuse holder itself probably needs to be waterproof.

It scares me that the incident did not trip a fuse. The lamp wiring in the bathroom is in the same circuit as the overhead lamps which has a 15A fuse.

At the moment I am looking at battery operated LED lamps like deppstein installed…
ski2ways

Post by ski2ways »

I received the LED unit today, and I looked at the back of it. I didn’t want to completely remove it from the packaging because I am returning it. As I thought, it is not sealed to prevent a short. See the attached photo taken from the Web. The wires are exposed and each LED string on the sides has a metal backing, which I suppose serves as a heat sink.

No wonder it burned!

The other interesting fact is that it has a 1-year limited warranty. But it specifically states: “Warranty is void if damage done to the unit due to:
water leakage/seepage” (My underlining),
• Among other items listed

Lastly, as Chin thought, there is no indication of UL certification on the item box.
Attachments
Heng LED, back side.jpg
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Yes exactly. Now that you have one in your hand you can see how it would eventually fill up with water from condensation or water coming in from the vent if it rains. A person could drill a small hole in each corner so water could drain out, but after my experience they arent worth taking a chance on. I know alot of people have purchased them and i hope they never find out how dangerous this product actually is. Whats worse than the exposed wires is the fact that under each of those metal strips there are electric circuits that are completely exposed to moisture with no protection. You can see in my images that the fire didnt start in the corner where the wires are, it started with the exposed circuit under those metal strips.