Replacing Water Hatch and AC/Heat Pump on 2000 Chinook Premiere

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
dogismycopilot

Replacing Water Hatch and AC/Heat Pump on 2000 Chinook Premiere

Post by dogismycopilot »

Ok, complete RV newbie here, fair warning! :roll: I am looking to replace the water inlet hatch and AC/Heat Pump in my 2000 Chinook Premiere and this idiot fueled by Google needs some advice. We're first time RV owners, my in-laws gave us their Chinook, we drove it from MA to MI (got to MI 10/9), then 5 days later moved to FL in it since I'm starting a new job in less than a week.... My great idea. We knew we had to replace the hatch, in-laws said city water inlet leaks into the cabinets under the sink and there's a hole created by them trying to fix it. And... A few days after arriving in FL, we realized the AC/heat pump isn't working. Yep...

First, the water hatch: I am completely baffled by the hatch options due to different measurements. Has anyone replaced their water hatch on their Chinook Premier? If so, with which hatch? Specifically looking for one that locks. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5 ... X0DER&th=1. But I'm not sure it will fit. I measured the outside of the hatch, the dimensions work. I measured the inside (by sticking the tape measure through the drawer slots) and it should fit, but am now not sure because there's like a carpet-type liner between the interior wall and the exterior and not sure if that is pliable. I am aware I probably sound like a complete idiot. Help an idiot out? :lol: Brain has died btwn researching this stuff and trying to do all my work-related pre-start date trainings and obligations...

Second: Trying to decide between AC Units in case we have to buy a new one (going to have a mobile RV repairman come look at it, we've tried everything we could find on Google). Mostly trying to figure out do we get a Dometic Brisk II Evo 15K w/ Heat pump, Dometic Blizzard NXT 15K w/ heat pump, Dometic Penguin II High Capacity W/ Heat Pump, or Coleman Mach 15 w/ HP2 Heat Pump (which I realize will require some adapting)? Does anyone have any recommendations on these? Or am I going down the wrong path?

Thank you so much for reading my post!
2000 Chinook Premier
Alachua, FL
caconcourse

Re: Replacing Water Hatch and AC/Heat Pump on 2000 Chinook Premiere

Post by caconcourse »

Welcome. Our 2001 has a different hatch setup so can't help you there. Looks like you are on the right track. I just replaced my city water valve and was able to install it from the outside. It has a threaded connection so use a lot of teflon tape to prevent future leaks.

I replaced my air conditioner last year. I chose the closest unit to the original: Penguin II with heat pump in order to simplify wiring for install. I still needed a new air distribution box and thermostat but was able to reuse wiring. I didn't want to add height (we've been under some low bridges and service center doors), so I stuck with the low profile to keep our total height under 10 feet. These are the parts I bought (not the cheapest but most compatible):

AC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085M ... UTF8&psc=1
Air Distribution Box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ ... UTF8&psc=1 (this is the model that is designed for the remote thermostat)
Thermostat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX ... UTF8&psc=1
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Replacing Water Hatch and AC/Heat Pump on 2000 Chinook Premiere

Post by 68camaro »

Welcome to board, nobody comes here with less knowledge than I started with and everyone was very helpful.

Can''t really help with latch as mine is different and never changed it.

Like caconcouse I went with Penguin II with heat pump to make install easier. I only had it changed a few years ago and it works perfect. I do wish I went with 12V to run off battery bank though. I only boonedock and quiet A/C here in south would be nice......but switching to 12v leads to bunch of other expenses and issues.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.