2023 costs for complete Brake job ?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Cabman35

2023 costs for complete Brake job ?

Post by Cabman35 »

I have been searching the data base and havnt found any posts on current costs for complete brake job front and back. My chinook broke down in Kansas City with frozen AC stopping the serp belt from moving. After a tow to local Ford shop Im having them go through the Chinook before taking it back on the road, they have recommended a complete brake job front and rear with pretty much all parts replaced. Cost was almost 5k range so hoping others can chime in, also seen posts about upgraded rotors or pads to deal with concourse size. I live in a salt life environment so also wondering about parts handling rust issues better than others ?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared!
donswin

Re: 2023 costs for complete Brake job ?

Post by donswin »

I just had my brakes replaced. Lines, shoes, pads, wheel and master cylinder. $3,800. 😭

My pedal still has too much play. They will tighten the rear shoes Monday but I think the vacuum boost rod needs adjustment.
Blewett

Post by Blewett »

donswin wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 11:35 am I just had my brakes replaced. Lines, shoes, pads, wheel and master cylinder. $3,800. 😭

My pedal still has too much play. They will tighten the rear shoes Monday but I think the vacuum boost rod needs adjustment.
Ouch. About the only think left is the brake booster.
1997 Ford E-350 Chinook Concourse Side Entry.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I forget price but when I had my brakes done I upgrade to Powerstop brake kit, was big improvement. I know others upgrade to E-450 brakes which are bigger as well but I think that is bigger job.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

68camaro wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 10:01 am I forget price but when I had my brakes done I upgrade to Powerstop brake kit, was big improvement. I know others upgrade to E-450 brakes which are bigger as well but I think that is bigger job.
How long have you had the Powerstop brakes now? Can you check sometime and see if they have any rust, and get back to us? I've seen reports from some people that they get rust after just a year or two.

Thanks,
Bob
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

BobW9 wrote: October 12th, 2023, 2:19 pm
68camaro wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 10:01 am I forget price but when I had my brakes done I upgrade to Powerstop brake kit, was big improvement. I know others upgrade to E-450 brakes which are bigger as well but I think that is bigger job.
How long have you had the Powerstop brakes now? Can you check sometime and see if they have any rust, and get back to us? I've seen reports from some people that they get rust after just a year or two.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob, excuse the delay in responding. The Powerstop brakes were installed in Fall of 2018 and as of today no rust except for few small spots. They are holding up really well.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Thanks, never any rush for me :). Just trying to decide if I want to pay for new brakes, and if so, what the best brakes would be.

My brakes are only a little over a year old (though 10,000 miles now), but were a rush on-the-road had to do it, and just standard. I'm in NM currently and went over a road that Google Maps showed as decent size (probably is in NM), that wound many miles through some private ranches and stuff and then went up an escarpment that was scary. Like 12 or 15 degree incline, speed limit 20 going up on the outside of the road with a sheer drop close by, and a super tight U turn near the top. It was fully as steep as the worst short private road in California I've ever seen, and that road going down I locked the brakes at 15 MPH when a dumbass pulled out of his driveway maybe 50 feet in front of me. While going up, I kept thinking (well, besides my ongoing 'holy crap' mantra) that if I was going down instead of up, I'm not sure my brakes would have held. And since coming from that direction you don't see the drop until you are in the U turn with no way to turn around, it would have been cross my fingers and inch down in first gear riding the brakes, hoping I wouldn't pick up too much speed, since there is a super tight hard left turn near the bottom (with a solid rock face if you go a few feet further straight instead). In a car, I'd have been kind of nervous driving up or down this road, but in the Concourse, it was next level.

For the moment, I'm just being real, real, careful about planning my routes, trying to check out terrain if its not a major highway.

I'm enjoying being out west (actually, loving it), but I have to say, a few of these roads are kind of crazy compared to anything I've ever seen back east. And no guard rails or much of a shoulder, even.

Bob
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10