Looking to purchase a used Chinook

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
RV-newb

Looking to purchase a used Chinook

Post by RV-newb »

Backstory

Bear with me I am quite new to purchasing RVs or Vehicles

Straight to the point, I was offered a Chinook by a family member for an asking price of 19k (open to lowering.) I got to see inside of it and start the engine, everything appear fine in a bit moldy, I'm quite interested in purchasing it as I have quite a bit of financial head room.

Details

I should have asked more questions but this is what I know about it so far.

It's from about 2002-2003 with a fiberglass body and v8 engine, so I don't know precisely what model or year but I'd like to narrow that down.

Likewise the only mechanical issue I noticed was a whirling noise likely from the engine belt? in any cause the thing's exterior is pretty spotless and there is no visible rust on it all, it visually looks very well maintained.

What are some questions I should ask?

I said to them I would consider their offer after doing some research, this Chinook seems well priced considering some of the others I've seen on facebook market place and it wouldn't cost me much to gut the interior decor and get it to a very nice state.

Last edited by RV-newb on February 11th, 2024, 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Looking to purchase a used Chinook

Post by Manitou »

can you post some pictures of it? Seems like a great deal, but there's still lots of unknowns.
noluck

Post by noluck »

welcome lots of great knowledge on this site
1995 chinook concourse soon to be cummins power
RV-newb

Post by RV-newb »

Manitou wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:46 pm can you post some pictures of it? Seems like a great deal, but there's still lots of unknowns.
I updated my post to include images of the Chinook.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

looks like a chinook concourse premiere
I'm guessing the 5.4 litre v8. If so, they have a similar spark plug problem that the v10's have. Check for rough idle or a check engine light. If they've been replaced, should be good to go.
As for the actual RV stuff, check all the things that can be turned on (fans, aircon, heat, hot water, etc...). Even if they don't work, I think 19k leaves toy a lot of play room for upgraded and repairs. That said, if you only felt comfortable with say.. 16k.. I'd understand that too.. it's your money, your call.