Installing levels for Destiny

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
noel

Installing levels for Destiny

Post by noel »

Don't believe this was posted. Traveling alone. Need to level Destiny. Plan to put bubble level in freezing compartment. Should I add a level on all four corners of coach? S. D. Trailer Supple suggests 1 ton chevy chassis will flex and make freezing compartment bubble inaccurate. They also believe I need screws for the levels. Thanks for all suggestions
A Rooney

Re: Installing levels for Destiny

Post by A Rooney »

No answer rather a comment (I have a ford chassis) for me leveling is important for the healthy functioning of the fridge so a level in the freezer compartment is exactly what I am looking at. Rooney
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

This isn't Destiny specific, but I level my Concourse (and my previous camper van and also previous trailer) all the time. Well, not all the time, because I always TRY to get level without any leveling aids, because it's so much easier. But when I do need to add leveling aids, I do, no problem.

So for starters, even though I've used fancier ones, I like the little, round, $3 bubble levels. What I do is first get the rig level once to establish a base line. I check various places around the rig. Once I know it's level, then I take the bubble level and I sit in the driver's seat and find a place I can put it that puts the bubble in the middle (level). I have a spot on the cupholder/console that works perfectly.

Then I just drive to where I want to camp/park, and look at the little bubble level right from the driver's seat. It works really well.

If I do need to level, I use "Lynx Blocks." These are orange plastic, Lego-like blocks that are meant for just this purpose. They come ten to a handy zippered case. I most often use nine at a time. Reason being that I tend to block up one entire side at a time (see below for why) and that's three for each wheel. I do actually carry about fourteen, just because sometimes ten is a bit short. You can get them in the camping/RV section of Wal-Mart, on Amazon, or other places. Around $35 per bag of ten.

In my opinion, any amount of flex you will get at any amount of angle you could actually live on, isn't going to hurt the vehicle. All vehicles flex some. BUT, with a rear entry what you will notice is that the door won't open and close nicely if you have things tweaked. So my sequence is like this:

1) Can I get level without any blocks at all (is my bubble level good)? If so then I park and...

2) Does the rear door open and close nicely (no scraping)? If so, I'm done.

3) If the bubble level is off, place Lynx blocks appropriately to bring it level (don't try to "aim for and drive onto" blocks from a distance; rather place them right up against the tires and just ease right on).

4) Does the door open and close nicely? If not, re-evaluate site and move or re-level accordingly.

My RV friends with side doors can "get away with" only leveling one wheel. I find that that usually tweaks the rear door, so I tend to level two positions. Either all wheels on one side, both fronts, or both rears. It's not that their RV's don't flex - they do - it's just not as noticeable without a door on the rear.

PS: I can't imagine any amount of frame flex that wouldn't be cracking the shell - or have you on the side of a mountain such that sleeping would be impossible - that would mean the rig would be level in one place, but be "ruining the refrigerator crooked" in another place.
1999 Concourse
noel

Post by noel »

Thanks for the complete reply. Since I'm traveling alone I would prefer not to get in and out of the coach to check the freezer bubble.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Understood. That's why I have the bubble level set up on the console right next to the driver's seat. I just "calibrated" it by first getting the rear of the coach how I wanted it (could use refrigerator or other desired location) and then setting up the console level to also be level. Now I only have to glance at the bubble on the console and I know just how things stand. Really handy when you want to do a bit of backing and filling to get the bubble "just so."
1999 Concourse