water on inside back step

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: water on inside back step

Post by Manitou »

Clear silicon has worked fine for me for 2 years.. your mileage may vary.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

thank you.
HereComesTrouble

Post by HereComesTrouble »

buddyboy wrote:The back door has been resealed and roof has been checked. Yes, I over filled the water tank but it has since been drained and rv dried out. It is parked on a 20 degree slant to the back and it occurs when it rains. No sign of water anyplace else. Any ideas?
Check for a leak around the Fantastic Fan. Next time it rains or you can put water on the roof. Feel the headliner around the edge of the fan to see if it's wet. Just went through this myself. Could not see any dripping inside but the water was migrating from under the flange to the rear of the coach as it was on a slant in that direction. the water then ran down the driver's side of the door and into the step area. Found it early enough that there was no damage done. Good Luck.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Thank you for your reply. I have not been able to locate any leaks or water coming in anywhere except the back step. I live in the Portland, Or. area ( specifically Beaverton) I took my rv to a repair place and was not too satisfied. They recommended having my rig put into some type of diagnostic procedure that locates leaks. I don't know if I have enough faith in this particular place to do this although I may have to, Does anyone live in my area and know of a repair rv shop that they trust and does good work?
SMan

Post by SMan »

I live north near Seattle but I have to say I have never found a RV repair place that I trust. I suspect they my try a dye of some type to find a leak. I would be looking at the ladder, clearance lights and rear compartment as others have suggested. I would also try taping the rear door during your next driving rain event just for kicks.

I'll second the "use silicone with caution". I have used it but it penetrates surfaces and paint does not bond to it.

Off the subject Beaverton is a nice area. I took multiple guitar building classes there. Really liked it.

Good luck with your leak.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

I was afraid that trust and rv repair are not partnrers.

Thank you for your reply.
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

I highly recommend JR's RV Repair and Rebuild in Sedro-Woolley, WA for anyone in the area or passing through. They've always been very competent and fairly priced. They did a pressure test leak detection procedure on a friend's Chinook, don't know just how it's done, but it did isolate her leak.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Thanks, I may have to do that test as well.
jammin

Post by jammin »

Hi, new from Australia, please let me know how you guys get exact size bedding for RV? Like I am facing problem in getting coverlet size!
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Thank you