Push Button Flip Open Couch + Comfort

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
noel

Push Button Flip Open Couch + Comfort

Post by noel »

2002 Destiny purchased for one, now two, newbie. Any suggestions for comfort without using air mattress or remodeling? Thanks for all suggestions.
Blue~Go

Re: Push Button Flip Open Couch + Comfort

Post by Blue~Go »

I "remodeled" my couch as I didn't want to try to get comfortable on it (I'm usually solo, so sit in the chair most of the time during the day, or lengthwise on the couch/bed). But I have had occasion to try to sleep comfortably on the folding couches in other RV's (or even the floor). My favorite solution (which I still use even on my comfortable bed/couch) is a self-inflating camping pad. These are different from regular air mattresses as they are filled with foam, not just air. As a result they can be thinner (2.5" to 3.5" for the relatively luxury ones), and they self inflate. You can easily adjust the firmness to taste by a few puffs of air. And they don't have that "I'm perched atop an inflatable ball!" wiggly feeling.

Maybe too close to an air mattress for you, but I have been using one as part of my bed system for years, and love them. I started with the Thermarest car camping pads, but when they added something crinkly/rustly to the construction, went to the REI version. Exped also makes some (just be sure to get the ones with foam inside, not just air).

As a side bonus, one can easily be used on the floor as an extra bed. You can practically sleep on a bed of nails and be comfortable with one of these :lol: And they are tough as nails too, so not delicate like cheap air mattresses. I've even forgotten to open the air valve when going over 10,000 foot mountain passes and although it was VERY full :shock: came through unscathed.

I imagine they might slip behind the couch back during the day without even letting the air out.

I'm sure others will have good ideas too.

BG
1999 Concourse
noel

Post by noel »

BG- Sounds just like something we need. First item on the shopping list. Thanks!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Many places carry these, but a good start is REI Coop (outdoor gear). If you have an actual REI store near you, they have platforms on which you can try out the various pads.

Most of them come in 20", 25", and 30" widths, and you can connect them together to make doubles. Some may come wider. I've found the 2.5" to be perfectly comfortable when you are already on a non-hard surface. These will typically run $80-$100 - or more - but I've had them last a decade or more in constant use (and REI has a good return policy if you get a lemon or just don't end up liking it).
1999 Concourse
noel

Post by noel »

Will be at San Diego store on Thursday. Thanks!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

It'll be interesting to hear what you think. (And a trip to REI is always a "candy store" trip - to me at least - anyway :D )
1999 Concourse
noel

Post by noel »

Will not be until April but will try to remember. Thanks again.