Chinook Decals

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
dougm

Chinook Decals

Post by dougm »

I picked up a Roland BN-20 wide format vinyl printer/cutter used on ebay the other day. If anyone needs
any decals or a poster or large prints of photos message me on here or email me at landr0ver@hotmail.com and
i will see if i can hook you up. I have the printing portion all figured out but im waiting on a new cutting blade that is
supposed to be here Friday so i can figure out the cutting part. If you have a picture of what you want just send
it to my email and i will let you know if i can handle it. I am limited to a maximum of 20 inch x 15 feet..... i can go
longer than 15 feet but it will require ordering a roll of material. I have premium glossy decal vinyl and the printer is
ECO-SOLVENT meaning the vinyl is heated so that the ink penetrates the vinyl. You cant stick photos on the fridge with a
magnet in a Chinook, but you can have the photos made into high quality decals and stick them on. :lol:

I attached a photo of a couple decals to show print quality, they were hand cut with scissors but the new cutting blades
for the ripper/cutter will be here friday so they will cut by the machine after that.
Last edited by dougm on March 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdarling

Re: Decals

Post by kdarling »

Oooo. New toy! :D

Can its output be used externally?

If you can figure out replacement Chinook lettering, I bet a lot of people would be interested.

(I've also thought about using the old original CIII looking logo for the front above the cab. You know the one from the 70s?)

Also, long side stripes, to place over faded paint ones on the pre-2003 models with the racing stripes. I've always wanted a gray ombre version myself, with the shade changing from top to bottom, or even along its length.

Ditto for the rear feather stripes that go around the back. Imagine making one a scene or changing shades.

Back to smaller decals, I'd love to cover the blue Ford emblems on the hood and steering wheel, with gray Ford ones to match the rest of my Chinook. (There are such kits on eBay but the sellers don't know the sizes and I'm not willing to bet $20 on them.)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
dougm

Post by dougm »

One member messaged me about doing "CHINOOK" vinyl and i can do it but his rig is a 1994 and mines a 2005, so
im not sure the measurements are the same. I messaged him back asking him to measure each of the existing decals
for height and length to send me. Only issue i see is a possible ghost image left behind on the paint since the paint wont have
faded out under the old decals.
SMan

Post by SMan »

dougm wrote:One member messaged me about doing "CHINOOK" vinyl and i can do it but his rig is a 1994 and mines a 2005, so
im not sure the measurements are the same. I messaged him back asking him to measure each of the existing decals
for height and length to send me. Only issue i see is a possible ghost image left behind on the paint since the paint wont have
faded out under the old decals.
Doug,
That printer looks very nice and can put out some impressive stuff. Is it possible to come up with the same font as the originals?

FWIW I recently removed the lettering from the cabover on my 2004 Premier as it had become ragged. There is a definite ghosting that shows on the white gelcoat. (My Premier has no paint under the letters) I believe that with the fiberglass finish restorer I have I can get it to a point it is not easily noticeable. I found some 3" marine application lettering that is not an exact match but is close both in terms of width and height of letters. The font isn't correct but where it is located an exact match would also only be identified by a Chinook purist. ;)

Here are the letters I have ready to install when the weather warms.....
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
dougm

Post by dougm »

If you have a harbor freight store you can buy a 6 inch electric buffer for cheep. They also sell the buffing pads which just push
onto the velcro covered buffer wheel. Then get some buffing/rubbing compound at the parts store, goto work and i doubt
you will notice it much. There are videos on youtube showing how to properly buff gelcoat to restore its shine.
Course after you buff it and then wax it your gonna have to wash down the decal area with a wax remover or the decals
arent going to stay put for long.
Last edited by dougm on March 23rd, 2017, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougm

Post by dougm »

chinook.jpg
chinook2.jpg
chinook3.jpg
dougm

Post by dougm »

chinook4.jpg
chinook5.jpg
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Neat. Are you also able to lean the letters left for the other side of the rig?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
dougm

Post by dougm »

Yes i can make the letters do pretty much anything. I got the new cutter blades and blade holder finally. But now im having software issues. I can print anything and it looks great, the cutter also works great. But i am having trouble finding vector software that will build cutcontour lines the roland printer will identify. I have tried adobe illustrator and corel draw, so right
now in on hold with everything until i can find and purchase appropriate vector design software. Problem is most high quality design cutting software runs into a couple grand worth of dollar bills.
dougm

Post by dougm »

chinook normal use this one.png
chinook reverse use this one.png
concourse 2.png
Last edited by dougm on March 23rd, 2017, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.