Diesel conversion

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Jermanitor

Diesel conversion

Post by Jermanitor »

Anybody know if anyone has converted a gas chinook to diesel? :?:
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Diesel conversion

Post by deppstein »

I am not aware of anyone who has done this. BUT...I do have some experience with Ford diesels in E-350 and 450 cut vans between 2004 and 2012. During that time, I was responsible for running a transportation operation for hospitals in Boston and we used Ford E-350 and 450 cut vans for some of our routes. It was a fairly large operation (12,000 passengers per day) and I oversaw all aspects of the operation-including procurement and maintenance. And, I am here to tell you that the diesel engines we had in the 2004 models that we purchased were nothing but trouble. In 2008, we got rid of the diesels and went to gas...MUCH BETTER/FAR FEWER PROBLEMS. I heard on numerous occasions from our contract provider that our's was not a unique situation...and that the problem with this generation of diesels was pretty well known throughout the industry.
Hope this helps.
David
Cincy Spin
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Cincy Spin »

Rather than converting from gas to diesel, would it be wiser (less hassle, less expense) to just buy a diesel? I realize they are rare, but as it happens, I have been monitoring a 2001 Concourse diesel near Phoenix on Craigslist for the last couple of weeks. I did inquire by email today whether it is still available, but haven't heard back. I'll post the ad below so you can contact him if you so choose. I know that for a host of reasons we build up an emotional attachment to our vehicles, especially with the work that we put into upgrading them, so it may be that modifying what we already have is preferable to getting a different one even if it involves more hassle and expense. Not to mention that not only would you be put to the effort of buying another vehicle, you would probably have to sell the one you already have. So maybe it's not more hassle and expense to convert. I leave that up to you, but I did think I should mention the Phoenix diesel just in case.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/6022412304.html

Best,
Cincy Spin
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I've never been interested in a diesel van (too close to having a diesel/noise in my lap, and there is already enough heat just from the V-10), but I do read around on Ford van topics. From what I can tell the "old" 7.3 was basically tough as nails, but the newer 6.0 is not quite the same. There are "bulletproofing" steps you can take ($$) but they don't come that way. You may already be well aware of all of this, but just mentioning it. I think the 6.0 replaced the 7.3 in the vans sometime in the mid 2000's (?).

David - fleet info is always good in my book - large sample size and no-one babies them. Sounds like yours were running the 6.0.

All that said, I know many people love diesels, in which case there likely is no substitute.
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

Thanks for your responses.
I have a beautiful 2004 glacier with 40k on the clock.
I've had diesels all my life and I enjoy them. That being said,
I'm not going to borrow trouble. Just curious.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I think some day people will be swapping the ford v6 turbo "eco diesel". The YouTube truck review guys that do the "gauntlet" test near Denver nicknamed it "fast ford" during their toeing test. And getting about twice the gas mileage would be great... but not till the v10 blows up is it cost efficient.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Installing a non-native engine in a modern vehicle - anything modern enough to have EFI - is usually an enormous undertaking, even in the very rare cases where kits are available. Significant fabrication is usually involved, and there is always something that is compromised. Then add the van body factor? Oh man. Installing a PSD in place of a Triton or older big block would be a step backward IMO. A Cummins would be slightly justifiable, but only for the right to brag about achieving such a feat. There's a fellow who is doing this in a Ford van on one of the other forums. Spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to gain a few MPG is definitely false economy. More torque for towing isn't a viable reason either due to the existing limits of our chassis. Further, diesels like to work all day long, and they hate to sit, and unfortunately, most RVs do exactly that. Without getting into the politics, scandals, EPA regulations, fuel taxes, DEF, etc. of current diesels, I'd say gas is the winner in just about any road-going vehicle under 15,000 lbs. (heavy equipment, diesel-electric systems, big rigs, etc must have diesel power and are a separate conversation). In current full sized trucks, the diesel option is easily an extra $10k or more (I haven't looked in a while). Amortize that cost over X number of miles versus dollars saved in fuel. It's a LOT of miles! And by the time that initial cost is recouped, you'll likely have done a few very costly diesel-specific repairs. And diesels are getting very complicated. Have a look at the exhaust on a current diesel Ram. You don't want to be the guy replacing that in 15 years. Naturally, this is an aggregate personal view, and the other side often speaks compellingly, but I think the gas Chinook is just fine as-is. The transmission shift points are annoying, but that's a separate conversation...
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Scott’s points above make good common sense, especially when diesel reliability has been compromised by mandated exhaust regulations. Look no further than the latest Mercedes/Sprinter BlueTEC problems! I’ve owned three diesel vehicles: a VW Rabbit, then Oldsmobile (yes, the notorious 350 conversion) and finally a 2001 Dodge Ram. Even the legendary I-6 Cummins had a very expensive Bosch injection pump failure due to insufficient lubricity provided by low-sulfur fuel. In short, I suffered diesels enough to not want to mess with them again.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

When is Tesla going to make an RV? Haha ;)
markatherton

Post by markatherton »

I just recently purchased a 1997 Chinook side entry. I was extremely lucky to find it. My plan was to install a 7.3 litre diesel in a chinook. I have the 7.3 diesel sitting on an engine stand along with a complete wiring harness and everything I need to do the conversion. I have been sidelined by the fact that my new chinook has only 38,000 miles on it. I am postponing my plan until it gets closer to 100,000 or I get sparkplug problems if that ever happens. I have the advantage of being a 30 year Ford mechanic with my own auto repair shop. I had purchased a donor van with a low mileage 7.3 diesel for $4000 and completely parted it out saving everything in anticipation of the diesel conversion. Make no mistake... this is a huge undertaking and I would not recommend it. To hire the job done would be astronomically expensive. But I am struggling to take a perfectly good 38,000 mile engine out of this beautiful Chinook. Mark in San Diego