Chinook Decals

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
kdarling

Re: Decals

Post by kdarling »

Nice!

So, the CHINOOK could be printed in any color?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
dougm

Post by dougm »

Yes but all i have right now is gloss white, matte white, gloss black, matte black. Without a sample chip of an old decal or
paint theres no way to make a perfect match with other colors. Black and white dont have to be printed, i just load the media
and the machine cuts them. To match a specific color perfectly i would need a sample chip and then the decal would have to be printed and cut. Some colors are available right off the shelf, however the odds of them matching a specific color perfectly are pretty slim.

The Concourse decal on mine is just black, it goes directly above the E-350 badge's on the front fenders.

Here is a picture of my old one all worn out....
Multi-fix-stickers.jpg
dougm

Post by dougm »

Heres a business card size decal i printed up for slapping on windshields or mirrors, the pink line doesnt show in the
final print. The machine recognizes that pink line as an object not color, then it cuts the decal exactly where
that line is. If you click the chinook picture it will enlarge and you can barely see the pink hairline showing exactly
where the machine will cut the decal. You may have to zoom in to see it.

As far as your "FORD" emblems go.... The proper way to go about it would be to use a doming poly based urethane.
You would end up with a product more like an actual emblem.
I can make those but it is a costly venture just to make one or two emblems. The polyurethane kits sell for
about $200 dollars. Heres a video showing how to dome a decal, it gives them a 3D appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NzSq_7dPM
Last edited by dougm on March 23rd, 2017, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Heres cutlines on the Concourse decal.... Just click it and zoom in and you will see the pink lines
where the machine will cut....
dougm

Post by dougm »

I will print a set for mine eventually and install them so i can take pictures.
It doesnt seem like much to a novice, but making images that can be printed
and cut properly is kind of a chore. Especially creating images the software will
recognize completely so that the cutlines can be created.
I taught myself photoshop and Gimp, and then i did a self taught 1 week cram
session on vector imaging and using RIP software and CorelDraw X8. :shock: :lol:

Creating cut lines is not a simple process, you cant just draw a pink line around an image.
The printer does not see colors, it sees objects, meaning you have to create an object with
a specific spot color so the machine knows what to do.
If you just created an image with a pink line around it, thats exactly what the printer would
see and it would simply print your image with a pink line around it.

The machine i have sells for $8500 dollars new and then you have to buy the media and ink ect...
I purchased mine barely used from a gal in Illinois and i drove there to pick it up. Im thinking the
learning curve was a bit much for her other than doing prints and cutting them with scissors.

One would think it would be a lucrative venture but its really not, in fact at this point its somewhat
of a disappointment. I created half dozen different decals and posted them on ebay 2 weeks ago and
to date i have sold 1.... Ebay took .55 cents, padded envelope to ship, and $1.50 postage. Really not worth
trying to sell on ebay. Not sure how much paypal takes yet because i didnt transfer the money to my bank
account yet. It can also print T-shirt transfers to put on shirts or hats ect... but that media is expensive so
i havent ventured there yet and dont know that i will. Just to replace ink cartridges in this machine costs just
under $300. I purchased black and white calendered vinyl rolls the other day 15"x10 yards and they were
$15 dollars per roll plus shipping. I purchased 1 gloss white roll 20"x 50 feet from Roland and it was $54 dollars
plus shipping.

Then you consider the "chinook" decals are 21" long and you can see that they wont print horizonatlly on 20" media
which is max this machine will hold, so they have to be printed vertically. If you only print 2 chinooks a left and right you have effectively wasted 21"x 15.5" of media unless you have other jobs ready to be cut and or printed at the same time.
dougm

Re: Chinook Decals

Post by dougm »

I have 4 sets of "CHINOOK" decals ready to go, left and right side, in Black....
They turned out pretty nice and measure exactly 21"x 2.25"
I will post up some pictures ASAP.
The cutting templates are done so i can make them in any color now just contact me.
Last edited by dougm on March 23rd, 2017, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougm

Post by dougm »

OK, here is how the black ones look, they are Oracal 651 outdoor vinyl, its a 6 year vinyl which is pretty decent.
I will sell the black and white ones for $20 pair shipped. These are 21" long x 2.25" wide so they wont fit in an
envelope meaning i am going to have to sandwich them between two sheets of cardboard 2 feet long. Needless to say
its going to cost $5 dollars to mail them out at that length. If they wont take something that long i will roll them up
and put them in a tube or box, but its still going to cost at least $5 to ship.

I didnt like the font i used for the Concourse decal so i am still working on those trying to find a font that matches
the OEM one closer.
REVERSE.JPG
NORMAL.JPG
dougm

Post by dougm »

This post seems to be causing friction with forum management even though i requested permission.

With that said i have requested that this post be removed as well as my post in "classifieds".

I will no longer monitor the post so please ignore it until it has been removed.

Sorry for any inconvenience, Happy Camping !
dougm

Post by dougm »

Since this post has not been deleted yet, i need to clarify that these decals are no longer available.

The fact they are no longer available has nothing to do with this web forum or its members.

I created other decals as well and placed several of them on Ebay forsale and sold a few.
However there are scammers that order items and then claim they didnt recieve them even though
i paid extra to have tracking number's which verify the packages are delivered.

With that said its not a profitable venture for me since profits are very minimal after shipping, tracking, envelopes,
stamps, labels, boxes, ink, vinyl, maintenance, ect..... It simply is not worth the time, money, or effort for me to
continue.

With such a small profit margin per item, all it takes is one scammer to wipe out the profit from 10 other transactions.