Banks Power Pack

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Blue~Go

Re: Banks Power Pack

Post by Blue~Go »

Jermanitor wrote:I have a glacier built on a ford E450. I have not looked at 0 to 60 times. I'm looking to try and extend milage. Here is my logic.
My transmission is an overdrive 5 speed, and if I can keep it in gear longer with out down shifting my milage should be better.
This is all way outside my area of good understanding, but I am curious about something. How can you "keep it in gear longer without downshifting" and still keep RPM's in the healthy-for-the-engine range? I actually find the opposite, that when I'm towing (or sometimes even when not towing) that I want to hold it in a given gear longer before it upshifts (to keep RPM's at a good level). Or does the Banks somehow change enough things that you can keep it in a higher gear longer and keep the RPM's up (I guess it must).

My buddy didn't notice any MPG change with his full Banks install on his V10 E-450, but he also has the broad side of a barn up top (typical big Class C with large overcab) and only gets 8-9 mpg anyway. Maybe with a more streamlined rig what the engine is doing is more important than the wind resistance (?) (Although on my 21' Chinook with stock engine the best way to improve my mileage is to drive more slowly on the highway (or take highways with lower speed limits), and I figured that was wind resistance coming into play (because if I need to take it out of overdrive to keep the RPM's up I already do that anyway). Ergh, sorry about all the parentheses.

I'm not challenging you with what I said - it's more that I'm interested in how/what they do does what it does. I think I remember they do change shift points and etc.

BG

(I still just want my gear 2.5 :D)
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

Here is the logic. I appreciate your opinion.
My transmission is an overdrive transmission.
By increasing the torque, the transmission will not hunt for gears.
I do not tow, if I can keep it in the Overdrive gear on the highway
my RPMs will stay lower thus increasing fuel economy. (that is the theory, I hope it works)

I will report. It could be a $3000 mistake.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I see what you are saying. Mine doesn't hunt on the highway, but then it's a lighter rig on the E-350.

I do disengage the overdrive at certain times (towing uphill, or even when not towing and I see a mountain pass ahead that the transmission can't "know about" in advance - plus of course on downhill runs), but I don't think it would hunt if I left it in overdrive; but rather it would just stay in overdrive longer than I'd prefer (thus lower RPM than I like to see).

But I know that the E-450 may be different. Reason I say that is when caravanning with my buddy with the "other brand" E-450 Class C with V-10/same transmission (4R100), we are at different RPM's at the same speed. He will be at a slightly higher RPM as compared to me at a given speed on the highway. (I knew at one point what rear end gears he had but now I forget - we did look it up once though. I have 4.11 in my Chinook.) Although we have similar engine/trans, his rig and tow weigh 19,000# to my ~10,000# and he's also the one with the Banks system. It's not a huge difference - maybe 300-400 RPM.

I'll be interested to hear your evaluation once you have the Banks.
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I just got a look at the R exhaust manifold. It really chokes down the exhaust flow.
I can see why the headers make it breathe better. From my old hot rod days the longer
manifold pipes build torque.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

And that should also remove any worries (or future jobs) with broken manifold studs.
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I broke two head bolts removing the exhaust manifold! :oops:
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I got the Chinook out today after the modification. All I can say is WOW!!! There is a tremendous difference in acceleration. I will report on the milage after a trip next week. :lol:
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

That's great!

Man you work fast. From removal (with broken screws) to full kit install and acceleration tests in one day? That's pretty impressive. I wish I could work like that!! Good job.

How did you remove the broken screws? Were they accessible? What was changed in terms of trans shift points? Noise increase? What did you use for the replacement fasteners? Did you keep the factory cat?
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, are you sure you didn't start this job like three months ago? :mrgreen:

Plus, yes, let's hear about it!
1999 Concourse
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

I was real lucky. Both bolts were on the the right rear bank. I got access by removing the center console. I was able to tap the studs with a hammer, Silicone spray, drill and ez out. (LOTS OF PATIENCE)

Reinstalling new manifold studs was very difficult. I had to use 1/4 inch drive long extensions, wable socket, air driver. After I got them as tight as I could and everything hooked up, I started the engine and let it idle for about 10 minutes and retighten the studs. ( I could not torque the studs) I hope it works !

I would not do it again! 2 days installation. :oops: