The infamous check engine light...

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Rokrover

Re: The infamous check engine light...

Post by Rokrover »

BTW I bought the Autel 319 scanner which is intuitive and simple to use
Thanks for the recommendation SMan as I too need a scanner to pinpoint my intermittent misfire. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II scan tool - only $38 from Amazon. Those coil packs are too expensive to replace all 10 in the hope the problem goes away.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
SMan

Post by SMan »

Rokrover wrote:
BTW I bought the Autel 319 scanner which is intuitive and simple to use
Thanks for the recommendation SMan as I too need a scanner to pinpoint my intermittent misfire. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Autel AutoLink AL319 OBD II scan tool - only $38 from Amazon. Those coil packs are too expensive to replace all 10 in the hope the problem goes away.
Yeah and free same day delivery for Prime members ;)

Well I am cautiously optimistic. Looked everything over and connections seemed good. Took it for a drive and it quickly lost the miss at idle. I stopped after about 10 miles and reset the CEL with the scanner and all seems good. I am always a bit wary of things fixing themselves so I'll be on guard for a bit.

Good luck with your issues Ted.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
SMan

Post by SMan »

Just an update. I went and picked up a sheet of plywood today (don't you just love the versatility of our Chinooks?) and still no check engine light and ran perfectly. I am hopeful it was from sitting and I dodged a repair bill. I am also glad it inspired me to get a scanner that will benefit me down the road.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

SMan wrote:Just an update. I went and picked up a sheet of plywood today (don't you just love the versatility of our Chinooks?)
Ha! That's awesome. Just recently I had a dozen 2 x 6 x 12s in my aisle. Pretty much a two person job loading/unloading, but actually not too bad.

Congrats on getting rid of your CEL. In any of my vehicles, if I get a CEL, very first thing I do is check around for rodents. Before I bought my Chinook, something decided to eat through the EVAP line just forward of the fuel tank. And my friend's Prius was "totaled" after she parked it for a week; the rats found some tasty wire insulation.
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Update: I changed my order to the Ancel AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scan Tool and just ran the basic “ignition on” diagnostics today.

The good news is there are no stored codes yet for my 15-year old V-10 at 45,000 miles, either Permanent (hard) or Pending. So I can safely ignore the occasional stumble I suspected after becoming paranoid reading the Ford forums. The other good news is I now have a scan tool that is indispensable for making informed decisions should the CEL come on down the road.

Scott - good tip about the evap lines as I replaced mine along with the gas cap during preventive maintenance as they had become hard, brittle and cracked. I also hear you about rodents. We have pack rats living in the local wash that love to nest in warm intakes and feast on wiring. I follow local lore and keep a strip light on underneath the Chinook at night as supposed deterrent. Otherwise, our feisty Schnauzer needs to earn his keep as tenacious ratter!
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

When transporting lumber, the rear door rules :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Codes are back. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
retiredtim

Post by retiredtim »

Changed all 3 components and light kept coming on. It was driving me crazy until I followed the compression line to the right side of the engine. Found two 3" connecter hoses (connection to metal hoses to intake), they were rotten. Changed them and my problem was solved. (let me know if you need a solenoid, I have an extra)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

retiredtim wrote:Changed all 3 components and light kept coming on.
Which codes and which three components were they in your case? This could be helpful for future reference. (I looked back in this thread and don't see which codes or components you mean; sorry if I missed something.)
1999 Concourse
retiredtim

Post by retiredtim »

Codes were P0401 & 0402 and couple of others along they way. Replaced the egr solenoid, egr valve & sensor.