Shower Faucet In Glacier

Section for discussion of Chinook interior and appliance issues, repair or installation.
ltg

Shower Faucet In Glacier

Post by ltg »

I am trying to determine the manufacturer of the shower faucet in a Glacier. I need some parts for the faucet. I could just replace the faucet but would like to repair if possible. Specifically, I need the faucet stem and the seat. Thanks.
kdarling

Re: Shower Faucet In Glacier

Post by kdarling »

I assume you've already taken the parts to hardware stores and were unable to find a match?

Any writing on the bottom of the knobs? Or markings on the stem?

Also, tried Aubrey's yet?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
ltg

Post by ltg »

You assume correctly. In addition I have looked all over the internet. I found two parts that looked exactly like the ones I need. But, once they arrived they were the same except smaller. I called Aubrey's. The parts person that knows about Chinooks will be out until Wednesday. If I can find out who manufactured the faucet, maybe I can find parts. I am from the old, old school who likes to repair rather than replace. Also, keep things as original as I can.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Understood.

Still, in this case I think it's okay to even update to an entirely new faucet if you have to. A Chinook is not like an old 40s or 50s trailer where original parts might be seen as something desirable.

Instead, a later model Chinook is often added onto with updated parts and features, making it more valuable and pleasurable for the current and next owner. E.g. more solar, residential fridge, modern LCD TV, satellite radio, suspension enhancements, and so forth. Blah blah. Just trying to help in case there's no other choice :)

If you can keep the stock handle, then what's behind it shouldn't matter as much.

Okay. Can the stem not be repaired on its own, perhaps with some cleaning and a homemade gasket? Or tapping a larger screw. Hmm. What do you figure has gone bad?

Regards,
Kev
ltg

Post by ltg »

Kev,
I agree with everything you said. Our Glacier has updated LED TV, In Motion Satellite antenna, Sirius Radio, 7" GPS Navigation/Radio/CD, After market Aluminum Alloy Rims, Billet grill, updated Sony surround system.
Still, I would like to repair the faucet if possible. It appears to be all metal construction, better quality, and better looking than any replacement I have been able to find.
The faucet is hard to shut off. The flat washer is worn out and is not a size I have been able to find. I have ordered some sizes I was able to find on the internet and am waiting for their arrival.
Like you said, I can just replace it. Because the broach is an off size, the faucets available will not match with the original handles.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Ok, I watched some videos of Glaciers and it looks like the shower handles are a different shape from the bathroom sink ones? Weird if so.

I searched eBay for "rv shower faucet" and IMHO, I think the long rounded lever handle versions match the sink handles and thus look better.

Granted, they're plastic but hey :)

My question is, how the heck would you get access to the back of the shower stall??? Is there some secret panel somewhere?
ltg

Post by ltg »

Yes. The long lever handles would look better. It never occurred to me that the handle types between shower and lavatory sink were different. Too intent on repairing verse replacing. The faucet is mounted to a panel that is attached with screws. I have no idea if the panel is sealed with a gasket or caulk. I am not looking forward to removing it. I am still searching for repair parts.