2005 Glacier - Front bumper wrap with driving lights

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
jeromedgeer

2005 Glacier - Front bumper wrap with driving lights

Post by jeromedgeer »

I have a 2005 Glacier that has a cracked front bumper wrap with fog lights. Does anyone know who manufactured this piece or where I can find a new one? I don't think it was made by Ford.
Blue~Go

Re: 2005 Glacier - Front bumper wrap with driving lights

Post by Blue~Go »

I can't speak to the 2005/Glacier, but in case this helps...

My 1999 Concourse just has the stock Ford van front bumper. But, when I was shopping, I noticed that the ~2000 models had a "special" looking white fiberglass bumper. Then recently, when I was looking for something else at Pelland, I saw they had (maybe they originally made) the "2000 Chinook front bumper." Is your '05 anything like this?

http://www.pellandent.com/Motorhome_Pro ... uctID=6650

It's around $1,000, so maybe a stock bumper or a repair would start to look good, but figured I'd mention this anyway.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I have that white, fiberglass bumper. Apparently Chinook had a decal on the entire bumper because it was removed prior to my ownership and all that's left is the crummy goo from who knows how many years. It looks terrible and I need to try a heat gun gently on it with a plastic razor sooner than later.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
jeromedgeer

Post by jeromedgeer »

Thanks for the info, it's a good place to start!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

By the way, I notice you say it is cracked. If it is molded fiberglass, you may want to consider having it repaired. I'm sure there are fiberglass car repairers (corvette, etc.), but too, any place around boat country will have boat fiberglass repair folks. They are used to fixing molded/broken things.

(Maybe it is ABS or something, but if it is fiberglass.)
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

If either fiberglass or automotive plastic is can be repaired. Standard materials. Consult a body shop. Fiberglass has been around mainstream for 70 years and is not complicated. Modern automotive plastics can be repaired also and is done a LOT every day since most cars in the last 20 years have had plastic body parts. Depending on the "crack" it is probably repaired and painted for less that replacing the entire part plus painting from gelcoat/base paint up.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Skillet, I have that same bumper as well. I actually like the look compared to the standard OEM chrome bumper.
I also have that sticky stuff on the surface, but I didn't know it was from a decal or sticker. I was told it's a special protective film that prevents that surface from getting trashed too quickly from rocks and the like. But that film gets all dirty and wrinkled up and I do not like that. Did you ever get it off with the heat gun?
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Never mind Skillet, I just found your thread about how you cleaned it up. Good job. I'm going to do the same.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge