Paint Job

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
dougm

Re: Paint Job

Post by dougm »

Looks Good
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I like that idea. Any thoughts on cleaning up the generator exhaust pipe? Pretty rusty. I'm assuming just good old-fashioned elbow grease. He opened every compartment and wrapped the paint in so it looks well finished. Even the dimple at the outdoor shower door where the shore power cord rests so you can lock it was done. I don't know if I'm more excited about having a smooth exterior or not having white oxidizing streaks leak down from the roof every time it rains.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
dougm

Post by dougm »

As much as you spent making the RV look nice, i would take the generator pipe off and take it to a powder coater and have them ceramic coat it after they sandblast it.
SMan

Post by SMan »

Looks very nice. I like the non traditional look for your Chinook. Powder coat on the generator pipe would be nice. Me? I'm a bit cheap so I would probably just sand and rattle can it with some Black Rustoleum.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Willywalderbeast

Post by Willywalderbeast »

Wow $4000 is really cheap for a respray. Maybe I'll have to make a trip to your guy for my paint haha.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Looks like you got a great job done for a great price!
I'd be curious to know if the less reflective dark color will make the coach interior "warmer". :?:
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Re: exhaust tips. On mine, the Ford exhaust and the generator exhaust are side by side.

Originally I tried both silver, but with the hugely different sizes it just looked odd.

So I ended up painting the generator pipe with high temp black paint so it almost disappears underneath, and then finding a big thick chrome tip for the Ford engine, from eBay.
Engine exhaust tip and painted gen pipe
Engine exhaust tip and painted gen pipe
Ran out in the rain this morning and took the above rough photo. Anyway, I think chrome would look good next to his new paint :)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Wow, that looks great! As much as I like the "racing stripe" livery, the simple/sleek look is amazing.

For the person who asked about temperature: Dark colors typically do make it hotter. Some years ago I was living aboard a white fiberglass sailboat with a ~12" medium green stripe in one area. Even though it wasn't a really dark green, the areas inside of where the stripe was (lockers) were warmer than the ones where the exterior is white. Hanging around at times in hot/sunny areas (and with no Air-con to boot) I couldn't have the dark grey color scheme, but it sure does look fantastic. I'd be petting it too if it were mine :D

And yes, a good two-part paint (really more of a "coating" these days than an old fashioned paint) will last a long time and be nearly maintenance free. It can't be "brought back" like gelcoat can, but then you don't have to. (Just repaint in twenty years.)
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I'll be interested to see how much the temp goes up in the summer time. Doesn't concern me too much because I do my several day journeys between the Fall and Spring. With my dogs, I've always been afraid of the generator conking out when I'm not there so I feel it's safer to go when it's cooler out. However, on August 21st I am going to do a summer trip down to Tennessee for the solar eclipse.

I'm now looking around for an exhaust tip thanks to the suggestion above and will see if I can afford to ceramic-coat the generator exhaust or use high temp paint.

It's funny, it's been gone most of the month and I've only had a couple days to enjoy the new look and I've sent it off again for a few days. It's currently at a Ford truck center to take care of a few things. State inspection, a/c is blowing lukewarm air (has been since I got it), and the emergency parking break is terrible (barely passed inspection last year). They gave me an F150 loaner and I was all excited to get 19mpg on the ride home...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Wow! I would have expected more than $4k for a total paint like that. Looks great!