Window blinds sizes?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Manitou
Site Admin

Window blinds sizes?

Post by Manitou »

The string on the passenger side window blind broke. I was about to order a re-string kit from Amazon when I stumbled onto this http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-interio ... uede-buff/

Get a whole new one and save some re-string headache.. But is the the exact color? What size is that blind? (I can't find a tape measure)
Blue~Go

Re: Window blinds sizes?

Post by Blue~Go »

I can't speak to your year, but for many years (mine included) the original blinds were made by Specialty Window Coverings. On mine the labels were still on them on the bottom of the bottom "bar" (i.e. the part you grab to pull them down). Just in case that helps.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I'm sure your 2004 is different from my 1994, but to give you a ballpark figure, my three shades are:

- 64x30 on the passenger side
- 48x30 x 2 shades on the driver side

Note that mine are not day/night.

I ordered replacement mini-blinds (I wanted to be able to shade passengers without losing a view) but have never put them on. When I ordered though, I changed the driver side duo so that instead of two the same length, one was the entire length of the sofa, and the other fit only over the sink area.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

On mine:
Couch window: 61.5x29"
Dinette window: 64x26"
Sink Window: 33.5x27"

I'm looking to change out my couch-side window since the strings have been broken and I really don't want to attempt re-stringing. Looks like they snap in at the top so you just have to tilt and maneuver it out. Doesn't look easy with the storage cabinets in the way...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I re-strung the same type of blind in my previous camper van. It really wasn't that bad as long as you have at least a minimum sized table to work on. That said, I removed the Chinook blinds just because I wanted something else (which, naturally, means that none of the strings ever broke in the Chinook - they must have known I was removing the blinds anyway :lol: )

They are in a type of clip where you tilt the upper blind rail and they come out, then put them in tilted and snap them down to level. I'm 99% sure I removed mine from the upper cabinets before I removed the cabinets (those suckers were heavy enough without anything extra attached). I used either tape or string to make sure to keep the blinds "up" (in their smallest position) during this process.

I will say that unless they changed construction method in other years than mine, don't plan on removing the wooden valance that runs across the top. The way it's attached makes it not easily practical (I'd have to re-look up my photographs for the details, but just remember it would not be worth it just to do blinds.

Some people re-string with monofilament, but I'd wonder about that cutting into the blind material at the holes (?). I used the official blind string (friend had ordered a huge roll).
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Getting the shades out is easy. A straight screwdriver push at each clip and boom it's out. (As Blue mentioned, wrap a tie around it first to keep it together.)

Getting them back in can be the seemingly impossible part. Partly the problem is that we all assume one edge of the shade must click into one edge of the bracket. But then it never seems to want to rotate up into place. There's no room to do so! That's because you actually insert (into the bracket) a ridge edge that's in the top MIDDLE of the shade instead... NOT an outside shade edge.

IIRC, the top of the shade looks something like: _____---------_____

We all try to clip in the outside lower ____ edge, but it's actually the ___------- upper middle edge that you want.

Once you figure that out, it's fairly easy. A flashlight and two people are also helpful :)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I forgot about that re-clipping detail, thanks. (Re-clipping on the camper van had me throwing the blinds down in a fit of pique - it had non-removable valances all the way around, and they were huge, and it was practically impossible! :x And I never re-clipped them on the Chinook as I didn't put them back.)

And I forgot that - as you mention - I'm pretty sure I used electrical zip ties to clamp them in the closed position while removing. Nothing like having one accordion out all over the place otherwise...
1999 Concourse
dougm

Post by dougm »

The blinds in my 2005 concourse have tags on the back side. I pulled them off months ago to restring them. You have to remove them to find the tags, bu they are easy to remove. Also when i did mine i just went to the sporting goods store and purchased 100 pound test cat fish line. The color was similar and the string diameter was also close to what was on it and as a bonus 100LB catfish line isnt going to break for quite some time.
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

The string broke in our day/nite shade above the sink so I humbly solicit suggestions regarding repair/replacement. A couple of years ago the strings broke in the larger curtain over the sofa and my wife restrung that, so we are familiar with this route. However, restringing is tedious and probably wasted effort now the aged fabric is tearing off the frame you clip into those fiendish brackets.

Options I am mulling over include:
1. Buy new replacement Day/Nite shade
2. Find a roller shade replacement
3. Hook a wooden dowel inside the oak valance for a classic curtain
4. Paint over the outside window with some lurid ad earning revenue (just kidding)

My wife, being a quilter, prefers #3 as long as she gets to choose the pattern. And no, we don’t want a programmable remote control power curtain!
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Curtains 100%!

Can be opened/closed effortlessly and quickly, especially while lying in bed
ANY material of your choosing, and can be easily replaced/washed if soiled
Easily add reflective material on the back to reduce heat and light
They would open/close in the direction of the window, which has several advantages
They just look better IMO
1994 Premier