A call for images on this site

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
Manitou
Site Admin

A call for images on this site

Post by Manitou »

If anyone can make an image file just like the one in the header here (right click download.. then figure out the side and fade), I'd like to rotate some other people's rigs. The $4k paint job thread of the grey chinook got me thinking about it again.. I can't figure out the photo details though (had a graphic artist friend set up those images a while back)
Blue~Go

Re: A call for images on this site

Post by Blue~Go »

I think I tried to do it way back when, but got stalled by the "fade" part. It would be fun to have a rotating collection of images though.
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Manitou...to create a gradient that fades the primary image edge to transparency using Photoshop is done with two layers: one blank, the other being the primary image to be faded.

Open image in Photoshop (not sure, but the size appears to be 348 x 200 pixels at 72 dpi)

Select the image's layer in LAYERS box.
Click the Add layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
That will create a layer mask in the image layer.
Select the gradient tool and apply a black/white gradient to the image layer.
With gradient applied, you will be able to see the background (checkered pattern) which indicates the blank layer. Adjust the pattern to match the existing web page header images.
When applied, the new image should now blend into the header background color.

Save your adjustments and size info for a template to import new photos..
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Awesome HoosierB... but I don't have Photoshop. I have a Mac and Windows machines.. any suggestions on alternstive apps? free ones. thanks
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Bummer... I'm a Mac guy running only Adobe Creative Suite programs. You might look into these recommended alternatives for both Mac and PC:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/10-free ... ves-145709
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
dougm

Post by dougm »

Gimp is the closest thing you will find to photoshop for free. Krita is also a very useful free program i use occasionally for vector images.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Gimp is what I tried before.. seems like a very capable program. My ability to operator it however.. not so capable.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Im not 100% what effect your attempting to achieve but here is how to fade edges with Gimp.

1. Open your image in GIMP and choose the Rectangle Select Tool.

2. In the Tool Options Dialog, select Rounded Corners and choose a radius for the corners.

3. Select the portion of the image you want to keep by dragging a rectangle in the graphics window.
Rectangle Select

4. At this point you can adjust the radius of the corners if you like.

5. Now go to the menu and choose Select->Invert.

6. Go to the menu again and choose Select->Feather. A window will pop up for you to choose the amount to feather the selection. This will control how much of the image will be faded out.

7. Now to create the fade, just hit the Delete key on your keyboard or select Edit->Clear.

Your edge fade effect is now complete. Just save your image under a new name and you're done.
Here is a visual link to what i just pasted above..http://tuxtweaks.com/2010/06/how-to-fad ... with-gimp/
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I really just wanted someone to send me an image file I could add into the rotation of the ones already up. I can upload and edit the line of code calling images, but photo editing is beyond me.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

ok, reviving this old thread. As you may see, I've uploaded some new images to the top right. It's just a couple I found quickly on the forum. The fade is no longer needed, so any image can work pretty easily. The "old" ones are 500x200 pixels and in png format. We can pretty much do whatever we want now, but keep in mind.. if the pic is huge.. it's going to take up a lot of people's screens. I bet we could even do an animated gif if so inclined.
My own personal request would be a pic of more then 1 chinook together.. so if you see a fellow chinooker in your travels.. maybe make friends and get a pic. It would be amazing to get an old 18, mid striper, and modern swoosh all in 1 pic.. but seems pretty unlikely.

As always, thanks!