Maintenance Checklist

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Blue~Go

Re: Maintenance Checklist

Post by Blue~Go »

deb,

I can understand the feeing that you may not be handy enough to own the Chinook. But, I know many "successful" RV-ers who wouldn't know a wrench from a spark plug. They simply find people, trust them, and pay to have the work done. That's fine, but just places a bit more emphasis on finding someone GOOD, and a little bit of the work goes to you as the one responsible to "manage" the project (make sure they are doing things correctly/how you want them).

On the other hand, if you have a curious mind and want to, you can likely develop skills that will enable you to do some/most/all of your own work (as you wish).

In summary, there are lots of ways to successfully own a motorhome and RV. You've got the first two down: Enthusiasm to hit the road, plus a great RV :mrgreen:

Rokrover:
I never thought about the Fumoto draining slowly, but I suppose it must as it is thinner. Whatever, I'll take it! Like you I've had too many annoying messes with the regular way. I remember my first oil change on my campervan (first E-Series). Hadn't put a Fumoto on (yet). Wow, so roomy under here! And the filter is so easy to get to! But that roominess came back to bite me as the oil was draining into the catch pan and a wind came up -- blew it SIDEWAYS past the pan and all over me. Hmmmph.

There is a little purpose-made clip you can put on the valve to keep it from potentially opening. On the other hand, I found that as soon as I operated one for the first time, I lost 99% of my thoughts of it opening accidentally. Nothing wrong with adding the clip though. Also, I think it depends on the vehicle. On some the oil drain plug might be the lowest thing - then I might prefer the slimness of the stock plug.
1999 Concourse
deb

Post by deb »

Hi group.

Well....big sigh....my Chinook is at the shop and engine wise all seems to be well. Whew!

One thing my mechanic noticed as he was peering under the dash on the drivers side, the floor is wet...quite wet. He doesn't know where the water is coming in but suggests I go to an auto body shop and have them check it out.

We have had alot of rain in the last few days. I had not noticed a leak.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

deb
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Two thoughts:

1. perhaps the AC drain hose is clogged? don't know its location, sorry.

2. open the hood. on mine there are some rubber plugs at the back under the wiper area, perhaps one is leaking water into the cabin?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Windshield is also another not-uncommon possibility.

I'll be interested to hear what you find: I'm helping a friend track down the source of what sounds like a similar leak. It's not a Chinook, but has the same Ford cab. The leak shows up as water running down behind the gas/brake pedal from above somewhere (and ending up under the carpet where driver's feet rest).
1999 Concourse
deb

Post by deb »

Exactly Blue~Go! I will report back.

Gosh, I hope it is as easy as KD's suggestions......

to be continued.

d.
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
deb

Post by deb »

The leak....

has not been diagnosed yet. My mechanic was going to take my rv to a body shop and have them test with pressurized air/water but, for one reason or another, that hasn't happened. I am anxious to get my ride back home.

Blue~Go....did you discover the source of the leak you were helping your friend with? What fix did you come up with?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations.

Best,

deb
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
deb

Post by deb »

I feel I should start a new thread for this leak subject.

My mechanic took the Chinook to a body shop today and they checked the windshield over annnnnd, they don't think that is where the leak is originating.

My mechanic asked me if I wanted to leave the rig with them so they could tear into it (his words). :shock:

I declined for the time being but will pursue this problem on my own.
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

So far all we know is that if we run water over the lower half of the windshield and the cowling, a small trickle of water comes down from behind the black "liner" behind the brake pedal area. (As mentioned above, it's an 2003 E-450 Class C, not a Chinook, but same exact "cab" as the Ford based Chinooks.)

A couple of days ago, I sprayed starting low and working high and it didn't leak (I wanted to start low so once it started leaking I'd know it was nothing above that). Yesterday my buddy did it and he's not quite as "variable" minded so just sprayed the whole works (whole windshield/cowling/hood/fenders). Then it leaked. Well great, now we know it's coming from the front of the vehicle :roll:

I do know it doesn't have to be under way, because it leaked once on a series of rainy days where it wasn't driven at all. It was also relatively calm.

I did have a look at the two grommets (one round, one rectangular, IIRC) back by the hood hinges/cowling area under the rear of the hood on the driver's side, but they are both dusty/dry looking, and intact.
Last edited by Blue~Go on June 21st, 2017, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
deb

Post by deb »

Thanks.

Lol....every piece of property we've ever owned had a leaky roof. ;)

Seems fitting.

I'll let you know what's happening on this end.

deb
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
deb

Post by deb »

When picking up my vehicle Friday, I asked the mechanic about the leak.

He suspects the water comes thru a seam that needs to be recaulked up front.

The body shop folks indicated they would remove all the caulking up front and redo.

I don't like this idea. At this point I am ready to invest in a tarp. One thing of note....in driving thru a pouring rain, no leak. Parked in a downpour, significant amount of water on drivers side floor.

Runs good tho and I am just not going to worry about it anymore.

Let me know what you eventually find with your friend's rig Blue~Go.

Thanks,

deb
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana